Rant: USB, ADSL and BitTorrents.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    You use port 6881 for Azureus/Bittotent? I'm told that that's the best way
    of ensuring problems with torrents. I assign a totally different port to
    Azureus and it seems to work well.

    Since I've been on an Orcon "Autosense" plan I've used more bandwidth in the
    last 10 days than I used in the last four months combined. I figure I'm
    paying for it so why not?

    (Interesting side-note: Previous to me moving to 2M Autosense and installing
    Azureus I was using around 3GB a month on 256k unlimited. Now when I check
    my usuage on Orcon's site this month shows 16GB yet it shows a lot higher
    usage for previous months, in the 12GB range. Strange huh? 10 days ago the
    previous two months showed around 3GB/month. Retrospective adjustment? Can I
    rely on Orcon's assesment of my bandwidth usuage? Pretty hard to argue with
    them though huh?).

    BTW, at $10/10GB bandwidth on Orcon UBS is more expensive than buying HDD
    space to put it on. This little irony hit me yesterday when I realised that
    I'm going to need a new HDD soon to accomodate all my torrents. $169 for a
    Seagate SATA, 8MB buffer, 200GB HDD. To fill that using bittorent with a
    minimum 1:0.5 down/up ratio (the minimum) would cost $300. Who'd have thunk
    it?

    <Opens can of worms> Maybe the ISPs could pay royalties to the recording
    companies/movie producers/TV producers as they seem to be the ones profiting
    from p2p. Anyone seen Orcon's pie-chart (Here:
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/index.html/help/status/bitstream/) recently that
    shows what makes up most of their traffic (and therefore profit)? Over 60%
    of traffic, and therefore data charge income, comes from p2p.

    ~misfit~, Nov 2, 2005