    And why would Telecom cache p2p themselves? Surely they want to promote
    the more asymetrical aspects of internet - ie, they have the portal and
    control the content. Always downloaded by the customer, never up.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 30, 2005

  2. ~misfit~

    Chris Hope Guest

    True, didn't think of it like that.

    Chris Hope, Oct 30, 2005

  3. ~misfit~

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Since p2p isn't used in realtime, Orcon and Telecom should be thanking
    us for spreading out the load on their networks :) The national grid
    should be so lucky :)

    I was shocked at how small a proportion of bandwidth is used by ftp and
    email. I use ftp quite a lot, and not much email. NNTP was surprisingly
    high, but I suppose that is relatively constant no matter how many
    people use it.
    Azureus has an option to allow connections from certain IP ranges, so
    you could set national traffic that way but I think it might slow BT
    down somewhat :) (but hey, if it is slow already...)
    Would anybody notice? The server on the other end is only ever going to
    rarely pump out data at anything approaching 2M anyway although I
    suppose an aggregate might approach 2M. Is web browsing *that* much
    faster on your 2M connection?

    -=rjh=-, Oct 30, 2005
  4. ~misfit~

    -=rjh=- Guest

    I'm stunned. Do people really use p2p to download files illegally?

    When there is so much legal stuff around - more than I can use in a
    lifetime - why bother with anything you can actually buy?

    Wouldn't Telecom just argue that there are substantial non-infringing
    uses of p2p (especially BT, I don't know about the others)?

    -=rjh=-, Oct 30, 2005
  5. ~misfit~

    Bling Bling Guest

    I don't know for certain. I was only going by some of the entries in
    Azureus's logs that seem to suggest its getting data from a server at
    Xtra/Telecom.

    I could be wrong tho.

    Surely BitTorrent would be easy to cache - all data to port 6881 is
    BitTorrent data.

    The real question would be what value is there in caching something that
    has such hugely diverse data going through it?

    Bling Bling

    Bling Bling, Oct 30, 2005
  6. ~misfit~

    Bling Bling Guest

    Telecom could only be said to be distributing copyrighted files if Telecom
    controls what it has in those caches. Otherwise it is merely a part of the
    path from the original host to the destination host.

    There are legal precidents for this in the USA.

    Bling Bling

    Bling Bling, Oct 30, 2005
  7. ~misfit~

    Bling Bling Guest

    Which transmission?

    Bling Bling

    Bling Bling, Oct 30, 2005
  8. ~misfit~

    Bling Bling Guest

    Bandwidth shaping.

    Bling Bling

    Bling Bling, Oct 30, 2005
  9. Nope. Bittorrent uses random ports (otherwie L4 filtering would be fine to
    limit it, which its not)

    The "not so easy" way is to get the downloaded .torrent file that people
    download via HTTP normally.. rewrite it and point it towards a local "cache"
    and then get the local "cache" to download itself. (So then the cache is
    commiting an offence, but is this any different than a HTTP webcache with
    someone going thru it to download illegal material). This works fine in
    practice, but then you get problems with trackers with passwords in the
    ..torrents/only allowing to come from certain ip addresses etc

    Thanks
    Talking for Myself

    Craig Whitmore, Oct 30, 2005
  10. ~misfit~

    Bling Bling Guest

    I'm forwarding ports 6881 and 6969 from my firewall to the box that has
    the BitTorrent client. Only data to/from those ports can get to my
    BitTorrent client.

    Bling Bling

    Bling Bling, Oct 30, 2005
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    You mean the port 6881 that the installation wizard (in Azureus) tells you
    that it's a goos idea to change?

    ~misfit~, Oct 30, 2005
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Lucky dog! I can't. I seem to have to maintain a 1:1 ratio.

    ~misfit~, Oct 30, 2005
  13. I'm forwarding ports 6881 and 6969 from my firewall to the box that has
    The port forwarding is for people to download off you. not for you to
    download off them. If you don't port forward then noone (also behind a FW)
    will be able to download off you. Most people change these ports and some
    newer clients will randomly pick one for you.

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Oct 30, 2005
  14. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    Then theres a hell of a lot of trackers that wont let you on in that case, as
    that port is often shaped down to near nothing.

    What the BT authors need to do is make each connection via SSL, so that it cant
    as easily be identified.

    Richard, Oct 30, 2005
  15. ~misfit~

    Bling Bling Guest

    Duh!!!!

    Isn't that the advantage of a firewall?

    Bling Bling

    Bling Bling, Oct 30, 2005
  16. ~misfit~

    Mark C Guest

    No. The port forwarding is for people to *connect* to you.

    Once connected (either out or in) data can be sent OR received.
    They might have parts you need or they might have upload bandwidth
    they would give to you, so it makes sense to allow incoming
    connections by forwarding ports.

    As you say, if they are behind a router or firewall, and you are also
    behind a router or firewall, then no conection can be made.

    Mark

    Mark C, Oct 30, 2005
  17. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    You want episode 4 in Season 3.

    You like Abby?

    You want this.

    steve, Oct 31, 2005
  18. ~misfit~

    David Guest

    There are some NZ p2p networks, not very big atm, used to be bigger in
    the days of jetstart.

    David, Oct 31, 2005
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Oh yeah.
    Ok, you got me hooked. I'll find it now. :)

    ~misfit~, Oct 31, 2005
  20. ~misfit~

    Mutlley Guest

    Interesting this discussion. I haven't used bittorrent for several
    months. On Monday I wanted to download a TV program I had missed and
    found a torrent for it but when I ran it up Azereus it said that port
    6881 was not usable. I did a test NAT test from with in the program
    and got the same answer. My ADSL router has ports 6881 ~ 6889
    pinholded to that PCs IP address and nothing else has changed since
    last time I used it. Has Orcon changed something in their network??
    The program did download OK up to 98.8% and then stopped. Real
    pain.. I checked the "swam" and there are about 30 people out there
    stuck on 98.8% and 4 at 100% but for some reason those on 100% are not
    sending anything..

    Mutlley, Nov 1, 2005