[rant] search engine wanted

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Nov 28, 2007.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    I am totally dismayed by the top search engines. I am looking for something
    very specific using 3 or more words. Unless there just happens to tons of
    hits on those 3 words explicitly, then you get a decent list.

    Instead, the damn search engines "HIT" on anything remotely relating to
    what you are looking for. Then, include offshoots of those words. So out of
    a 100 "hits" you might wind up with 5 that are what you are looking for.
    But are those 5 hits at the top of the list where they should be? Nooooo.
    They're buried and you have to hunt for them. Then the list is further
    compounded by the fact that even one of the words match even though it has
    nothing to do with what you're really looking for.

    Can we please have a search engine that relies on relevancy? Rather than
    just hunting it's bot list for matching words and posting them in lightning
    speed. Even when I include filters to help weed out erroneous hits, it
    really doesn't matter. For instance, I'm not looking for classified ads yet
    even with the filter, I still get them. Profusely.

    It almost seems like the top search engines have their own list of what
    they want you to see first.

    So why can't search engines take the first word of what you are looking
    for, find it, then match the second word and so on. So that you might see
    something like first word>>second word>>third word. Anything that matches
    the first word alone is listed first.

    Take a simple name search as an example. e.g. search for John Smith.
    What you will get is hits on every perceivable combination. You may get a
    hit on John Doe or Joe Smith. Or something like Smith.John With 3 words,
    you'll get all kinds of garbage you have to weed through.

    Has anybody got a search engine that gives truer results? I'm tired of
    google and yahoo.

    Maybe I'll write my own eh?

    richard, Nov 28, 2007

  2. richard

    Brian Cryer Guest

    <snip>

    Its a frustration we all share from time to time.

    It is often worth quoting the expression, that will force most search
    engines to look for the expression rather than for a match on the individual
    words. It might help .. you may have already done that.

    Hope you find what you are looking for.

    Brian Cryer, Nov 28, 2007

  3. richard

    Whiskers Guest

    [...]
    Try enclosing your search terms within quotes to limit the results to
    "contains this phrase" rather than leaving out the quotes (which is
    interpreted as "contains any of these words"). The 'advanced search'
    options offered by many search-engines make it easier to refine your
    search.

    A search such as

    "John Smith" +America -Pocohontas -beer -colony

    would narrow the search down considerably compared with a search for

    John Smith

    for example.

    Ask.com (formerly known as Ask Jeeves) now use the Teoma search engine,
    which generates suggestions for refining or adjusting your search terms
    along with the initial results. (Although I preferred Teoma when they were
    independent). There is a slight tendency to be out of date, though.

    Meta-search services search the results of the other search engines, so
    you get a wider pool of results, and the one I use most is
    <http://www.webcrawler.com/> which also manages to weed out a lot of the
    junk and multiple entries for the same web page (often returning only two
    or three pages where Google comes up with an unfeasably large number of
    suggestions most of which aren't worth the bandwidth).

    Sometimes, a directory is better than a search engine - eg a trade
    directory or telephone book. Or the Open Directory Project
    <http://www.dmoz.org/>.

    Whiskers, Nov 28, 2007
  4. richard

    Klaatu01 Guest

    Others have already posted their tips, so I will just add two
    things... One is the creative use of "search phrases" and I have
    often wished the search engines clearly indicated they support
    searches based on multiple phrases, but they don't indicate that.

    To wit: (a Google example)
    "forced windows shudown" WORKS, but...

    "forced windows shutdown" +"without asking" does not WORK even though
    "without asking" is clearly visible in the 8 documents returned in the
    original search, and (but)...

    "forced windows shutdown" +"without warning" brings back a set of 4
    documents (e.g. "hits") that do not appear to contain search results
    overlapping the first 8 document set (even though they share the
    phrase "forced windows shutdown" in common).

    So search engine behavior in general is more complex they we
    "consumers" can possibly know.

    Have you tried:
    http://www.kartoo.com/ ?

    I have been following its development for the past several years, ever
    since HotBot went away! (getting teary...)

    Well-practiced search skills should allow you to achieve the following
    "resume worthy" abilities:
    1. Narrow down any search to 100 or less relevant (and timely)
    results! and...
    2. Obtaining results where a "most likely" to be helpful page,
    document or newsgroup posting is contained in the FIRST 10 results!

    (if you get a good "hit" within the FIRST 25, you become a "semi-
    skilled search professional")

    It takes some practice but is certainly something anyone can achieve!
    Good luck!

    Klaatu01, Nov 28, 2007
  5. richard

    Pennywise Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Hacks (external links)
    And
    http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_operators.html

    Pennywise, Nov 28, 2007
  6. richard

    Plato Guest

    Yes, there is an untapped niche there.

    Plato, Nov 29, 2007
  7. richard

    pcbuilder.98 Guest

    Dump Google. Use Scroogle: http://www.scroogle.org/
    The search may not be better but no ads and you retain your privacy.

    pcbuilder.98, Nov 29, 2007