    see the IP address when I run IPconfig on the PC. The IP address is set
    manually on the local connector, by the way, not DHCP.

    Any ideas, anyone?

    EX_OWM, Jun 18, 2010

  2. EX_OWM

    Mike Easter Guest

    What exactly is this 'modem'? It must be also a router, some kind of
    gateway device. I presume it is giving out translated IP addresses to
    both the DT and LT, or what?

    When you say the DT is keeping its IP address, you must mean it is
    keeping its translated IP address from the gateway device but it isn't
    getting on the internet.

    I think we should start with the brand name and modelno of this modem
    (and networking device) so that we can get a picture of the topology of
    the network.

    Mike Easter, Jun 18, 2010

  3. EX_OWM

    ~BD~ Guest

    Hi K-Man! :)

    ~BD~, Jun 18, 2010
  4. EX_OWM

    EX_OWM Guest

    It's a Netopia 3347NWG router.
    All my PC's have manually assigned IP's in the tange 192.168.1.xxx with
    Gateway set to 192.168.1.254, the address of the router.
    It's getting on the Internet, it just drops the connection to the router at
    random intervals.

    EX_OWM, Jun 18, 2010
  5. EX_OWM

    chuckcar Guest

    So it's a problem with one computer then. Try these on both computers:
    1. right click my computer, left click properties and then click on the tab
    marked performance. What are the numbers for system resources on both
    computers? Do this with *nothing* running - no browser, wordprocessor or
    anything else.

    2. right click network and left click properties. Post a listing of or what
    is different between the entries there. You should have only your internet
    device and tcp/ip. Nothing else.

    chuckcar, Jun 18, 2010
  6. EX_OWM

    Mike Easter Guest

    That is the default configuration of the 3000 series.

    http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/technotes/CQG_121.html - Browse
    into the Netopia's web interface at http://192.168.1.254 (if using the
    default IP setting)
    No, I meant, you said...
    But then you also said:
    So, I was saying that you had said that (under the condition of losing
    its connection to the internet as you said) that you could see on
    IPconfig that the DT had its 192.xx address. But you are also saying
    that you have it configured for/ to be/ that address, which is different
    from getting (being assigned by the router) that IP address - getting
    any 192.xx assigned to it from the router.

    I think we need to talk about how you have the router configured to deal
    with giving the DT (desktop) a specific IP based on its MAC address, and
    I also think we have to talk about how you are dealing with the VPN
    (which your remote desktop setup is) inside the router.

    We can't see the router's configuration pages from here, so you will
    have to describe all (some of) that.

    Mike Easter, Jun 19, 2010
  7. EX_OWM

    Mike Easter Guest

    Another consideration to think about is that when routers are 'acting
    up' unpredictably and it is determined to not be due such as your own
    configuration errors or such as having the LAN arranged/wired 'stupidly'
    such as having disconnected/unterminated ethernet wires hanging off LAN
    ports, or some other undiagnosed factor which is not the router's fault,
    that is 'outside' the router's responsibility -- then sometimes it is
    necessary to flash a router's firmware to fix it.

    Firmware flashing is not a decision to be taken lightly, especially the
    way Netopia handles the firmware issue. From what I'm reading, they
    make that subject complicated.

    Mike Easter, Jun 19, 2010
  8. EX_OWM

    Tony Guest

    Subject: Why you hard boot your DSL modem
    Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 02:42:16 -0500
    From: "Steve" <>

    There's been some questions and confusion in a previous post in regards to
    why you "hard boot" (or "power drains" as chuck likes to call it) your DSL
    modem. I'm compiling a website for these NG's to cut down on the utter
    bullshit that's been posted in here by some posters (*caugh* chuck). So
    lets clear out the bullshit and get back to business. This took me 30 mins
    to compile and write. This is for those who wanted to know exactly why you
    turn your modem on and off, and why this works.

    Power cycling your modem or hard booting your modem, by completely
    unplugging it for about 30 - 40 seconds then turn it back on again, can fix
    some internet connection problems. Here is a more in-depth response to this
    issue as to why this is done.

    This clears out your modems buffers which can get over filled due to Packet
    Loss; and this intern can cause your modem to loose sync with the
    connection. This is the most common problem that causes loss of sync with
    your connection and power cycling your modem is used to re-sync it. However
    this is a quick fix to this problem. In most cases this can be prevented by
    having the appropriate network tweaks and settings in place, which is
    something that the tech turnips at Sympatico should be informing us on.

    Supportive Research:

    http://www.dslreports.com/speed - Explains Packet Loss and other speed
    related issues, plus links to tweaks page. For those of you who notice a
    decrease in speed during certain times of the day, might want to check out
    Enemy #3 on this page.

    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111644,pg,2,00.asp# - Excellent
    Article.

    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/ - Listed in PC World Article

    After you have ruled out all possibly for connection problems i.e.. Routers,
    adware, viruses, browser cache etc..and if after you are still having Sync
    Problems with the tweaks you have done, visit section 5.3 : Sync Problems on
    the following site:

    http://www.docmirror.net/en/linux/howto/networking/DSL-HOWTO/tuning.html

    --
    Steve

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on
    the job for potty mouth,

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Jun 19, 2010