random Blue Screens

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by kpitcher, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. kpitcher

    kpitcher Guest

    I put together a machine with an OEM x64, and have been having big
    stability problems.

    Hardware :
    MB: MSI RS482-IL (This has integrated ATI x200, Realtek NIC and AC97
    audio)
    CPU: Sempron 3000+ 64
    Mem : 512 DDR400 Crucial
    HD : IDE Wester Digital 80 gig
    CD : Lite-on 52xCDRW

    When I first installed it didn't know about the SM_BUS, but after
    getting all the latest x64 drivers from MSI Those did install - I also
    updated everything else from MSI's driver site.

    In the bios I disabled everything I could - audio, SATA, USB, ports,
    Floppy, etc.

    Things run and then randomly crash. Browing the web with IE and blue
    screens. Browing with firefox, blue screens. The only other program I
    had installed was a version of Fprot antivirus, but have removed that -
    that did not fix the erratic reboots. I don't have anything running in
    the background, no antivirus, no firewalls, just a base clean system.
    Only other software I have installed has been firefox, google earth and
    Quickbooks and a MSI hardware monitor that isn't running in the
    background, only when manually opened.

    The most common error is simply a
    "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" but it doesn't specify any specific device
    driver that's causing the problem. When it reports the problem to MS,
    the tech page comes up about "Unknown device driver"

    According to the hardware manager, all the devices are known about and
    up to date.

    time to Blue screen is anywhere from 2 - 10 minutes. The fans are
    working fine, it doesn't appear to be overheating.

    I did test the memory with a few bootable memory testers, it checks out
    while leaving it run for a few hours.

    This is windows updated entirely, having tried the original drivers
    installed to the latest from MSI. I have tried the latest ATI drivers,
    to removing them all and just using the default VGA drivers from MS. It
    doesn't seem to have affect the performance. I have tried another stick
    of memory from another vendor but that didn't change a thing either.

    Keith

    kpitcher, Feb 14, 2006

  2. kpitcher

    Larry Hodges Guest

    I had issues with the onboard Realtek sound in gaming, and dumped it for a
    Creative Labs sound card. However, there are new Realtek drivers that have
    just been released which may help.

    On a side note, and most likely not related to your blue screens, but 512 mb
    ram is a bit light for x64. A gig or 2 is what most guys are running for a
    minimum, with some running 4gb. You'll see a performance boost with more
    ram on this OS. I just played a little FEAR tonight, and my peak memory
    usage was 1261720 k. Quake 4 pushes 2gb. Adobe Creative Suite gets up
    there too. At the very least, drop another 512mb in. Just my .02 cents...

    Larry Hodges, Feb 14, 2006

  3. kpitcher

    kpitcher Guest

    I've determined that a MSI RS482-IL is definately not a valid board for
    x64 at this time. Sure it's not a top of the line board, but after
    trying every driver out there and not able to have a stable system for
    more than a few minutes, yeach.

    After installing regular XP Pro and subjecting it to every stress test
    out there for a full day, and it holding steady, that can only lead me
    to believe it's a failure of the drivers.

    kpitcher, Feb 16, 2006