    Likes Received:
    0
    I'd like to know everyone's stance on these two topics. Personally I think RAID's are awesome (striping -- mirroring is cool but more business-oriented), and raptors are too. Mathematically Raptors should be 33% faster than standard 7,200RPM Drives, but I've never actually seen any benchmarks or comparisons. RAID's should be 50% faster, so you'd think that two raptors on a RAID would be fast as hell. I myself don't have either of these technologies implemented into my system but I've used both of them, and they DO seem to make a difference. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

    ww_crimson, Jul 3, 2005

  2. ww_crimson

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    U want a Raid array so that the Read and write speed it increased... like using Dual Channel ram :D (gotta luv that new tech :D) I would say just 2 Sata's or scsi's with 10k to 15k RPM's... that'll do the trick... and max out loading :D

    unholy, Jul 3, 2005

  3. ww_crimson

    stlava

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    0
    Raptors are good but sometimes you need the space and raptors for 73 gigs are just to expensive. And you need all of your drives to be raptors otherwise they will slow down the raptor.

    stlava, Jul 3, 2005
  4. ww_crimson

    ZAK18

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2005
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    I agree with you dude....
    raptors are expensive....

    ZAK18, Jul 4, 2005
  5. ww_crimson

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Not if your billl gates... but then again hje can't do anything right, so he would have a raptor and 1 rpm HDD :D

    unholy, Jul 4, 2005
  6. ww_crimson

    PUTALE

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    0
    Raid is good but it's a bit more expensive setting it up. Plus, I think for consumer level, raid has yet to come as a standard or the easy of use yet.
    Raptor is cool, but I think current raptor only helps with faster file access. It has not given as enough performance boost as the price its selling. I heard that seagate has 10k hd out as well, so maybe 10k will be a standard soon. who knows.

    PUTALE, Jul 4, 2005
  7. ww_crimson

    stlava

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    0
    I just have heard to many complaints with raid on normal comps.. servers they work great.. but like i have a dual boot and raid is hard to setup like that.. and I just can't take the risk of 1 drive failing... cuz i don't have money to replace it and the data.

    stlava, Jul 4, 2005
  8. ww_crimson

    PUTALE

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    0
    THAT'S right. I haven't really try raid is because I am afraid of data loss. it's weird, it seems like with 1 drive, there's less chance of data loss but with raid, it seems to be a very common problem.

    PUTALE, Jul 5, 2005
  9. ww_crimson

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    well i am going to pull out quad raid0 (mirror) of 15k scsi's :D

    unholy, Jul 5, 2005
  10. ww_crimson

    PUTALE

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    0
    is scsi still alive:)/

    PUTALE, Jul 6, 2005
  11. ww_crimson

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    yer they still make servers with SCSI, cause everyone trusts it :D, i would too, SATA isn't the best solution for speed and stability, SCSI is been out for ages and they have the technology everywhere :D

    unholy, Jul 6, 2005
  12. ww_crimson

    PUTALE

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    0
    though, I think it's a slow dying technology isn't? I think sata will overtake it.

    PUTALE, Jul 6, 2005
  13. ww_crimson

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    No Sata Won't not anytime Soon, you know how many companies still use SCSI drives, and did you know they still produce the server with SCSI... its cause they are so reliable they hardly ever stuff up. Not many companies will trust SATA until its released majorly.

    unholy, Jul 6, 2005