Radio-controlled slave flash trigger

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gisle Hannemyr, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. I have several flashes (e.g. Vivitar Auto 283) left over from
    my film days with too high trigger voltage to be be used on
    a digital body.

    On eBay, you can buy radio-based slave triggers like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3860&item=7501143881

    I am thinking about getting one of these with 5-6 receivers,
    and use them to set up a battery of old Vivitar 283s to
    be bounced against ceilings and brollys i situations where
    a single strobe is inadequate (e.g. receptions, wide angle
    shots in large interiors).

    I am attracted to these because they are radio-controlled, and
    offer four channels (so I can be in the room with at least three
    other photographers with identical equipment without interfering).

    I don't want optical slave triggers because of the pre-flash
    issue. I know the better optical models can be programmed to
    ignore pre-flash sequences, but the programming is awkward and
    does bot "stick", so you have do redo it.

    1. Do anyone here have experience with such a set-up and would
    comment on how pratical and useful it is?

    2. This eBay store ("Joe's Photo Auction") seem to have a lot of these
    items for sale at what I consider very reasonable prices. However,
    I haven't seen a review of this product, nor have I seen it for
    sale anywhere else. I like a good price, but I also know that you
    usually get what you pay for. I am worried that this may be a
    sub-standard product (i.e. something that does not work will, or
    will break quickly). Does anyone here have experience with this
    product and can comment on its quality?

    3. Is there a similar product from other sources I should consider?

    Gisle Hannemyr, Mar 20, 2005

  2. Gisle Hannemyr

    canongirly Guest

    snip

    Just a note, I use the remote sensor cord (SC-3- coiled version, SC-1
    uncoiled version) with my Vivitar 285's.

    The vari-sensor on the front of the flash pulls off to enable you to plug
    the cord into the socket there and the sensor then fits on the other end
    that slides into the hotshoe of the camera.It's the same with the 283's.

    I have found that the trigger voltage off the foot of the SC-3 is a hell of
    a lot lower, and inside the 6v tolerance of Canon EOS bodies (film and
    digital), than off the foot of the flash itself.

    I do this to trip off my elinchroms, better than the sync leads that never
    lasted me more than a month at a time.

    Another option is the wein safe sync device that sits between the camera and
    the flash on the hotshoe. This definately works at reducing the effects of
    the trigger voltage off the flash foot to within safe levels. However as I
    never use a flash on the hotshoe itself I don't feel the need for one.

    As to the radio triggers you would still need them to trip off multiple
    units around the place, I personally haven't used these so can't offer first
    hand experience , but I'm told by a collegue who does that they work a
    treat.

    canongirly, Mar 20, 2005

  3. Interesting. I've measured my 283s, and they are all well over
    100 volts. I don't have a sensor cord, tho', and using one will
    still restrict me to trigger a single strobe.
    And they're $50 each. Radio receivers for the GT301-B transmitter
    are only $30 each - /and/ let me set up multiple strobes at various
    locations. If I only could be sure that the GT301-B radio
    transmitters sold by Joe's are usable, they are both cheaper and
    more flexible than the Wein Safe Sync.

    I've now found a comparable product at B&H: Quantum Slave 4i Set
    for $300. I.e. it retails for about five times what Joe's eBay
    store charges for the GT301-B radio trigger set. That sort of
    price differences makes me wary. It may mean that Joe's product
    is a great bargain, or it may mean that Joe's product is the sort
    of useless cr*p one can easily pick up from eBay if one is not
    careful.

    So I'd really like to hear from someone that has actually used
    the device before I place an order.
    That is encouraging, but do you know what brand of transmitter your
    collegue uses and where she/he got them?

    Gisle Hannemyr, Mar 20, 2005
  4. Gisle Hannemyr

    canongirly Guest

    It's one of these.

    http://tinyurl.com/3uznt

    in case you have a problem with the link the ebay item number is: 7500816792
    Well you'll need to fire one to trip the others. if they were hooked up to
    optical sensors.

    However I did say at the start..."Just a note " As in if you ever find you
    need to use one of your flashes there is a relatively cheap way of doing so
    (compared to buying new flash equipment).

    canongirly, Mar 20, 2005