  1. measekite

    John Navas Guest

    Amen.

    John Navas, Feb 9, 2008

  2. measekite

    John Turco Guest

    John Navas wrote:

    Hello, John:

    As a descriptive term, SZC ("super zoom camera") might be best. After
    all, this is the only type of digicam with an EVF, to begin with.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Feb 10, 2008

  3. measekite

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, John:

    Nevertheless, it's still quite healthy. The same can't be said, for the
    other newsgroup I regularly follow:

    In the late 1990's, was my main
    Usenet hangout; I'm still the all-time leading poster, there, with 535
    articles. Within a few years after I left (autumn of '99), the group was
    practically dead.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Feb 10, 2008
  4. measekite

    John Navas Guest

    Canon SD870 IS Digital ELPH (IXUS 860 IS)
    Casio Exilim EX-V7
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    Pentax Optio A20
    etc.

    John Navas, Feb 10, 2008
  5. What's a "super zoom"? My Sony R1 digicam has a 5x zoom, which sounds
    far from super to me, but it does have an EVF.

    I think that generally speaking it's best to categorise on essential
    elements of principle or design, rather than accidents of marketing
    stragegies which may well prove temporary. It's categorising on the
    basis of accidents of the market which has led to all the misleading
    categories which photography now so confusingly suffers from.

    Chris Malcolm, Feb 10, 2008
  6. measekite

    dj_nme Guest

    The "reflex" part of the TLA is misleading, there is no reflex with an EVF.
    Reflex implies optical TTL viewfinder with either a mirror (as in all
    the Olympus film ZLR cameras & other SLR cameras) or splitting prism
    (like the Olympus E20 & E10 Digital ZLR cameras) to direct the image up
    to a focusing/viewing screen in the viewfinder.
    Let's make it really simple then.
    What do all these digital cameras have in common?
    An EVF.
    I propose the terms "EVF camera" & "EVF digicam" to describe this class
    of digital camera.

    dj_nme, Feb 10, 2008
  7. measekite

    John Navas Guest

    I disagree.
    No thanks.

    John Navas, Feb 10, 2008
  8. measekite

    John Bean Guest

    Please explain where the light path is bent in a EVF camera.

    If there is no reflex in the optical path the "R" is indeed
    misleading. Whether or not you disagree with it has no
    effect on the actual meaning of the "R" in a reflex camera.
    On that I can agree, although it's substantially more
    accurate than "ZLR".

    John Bean, Feb 11, 2008
  9. measekite

    John Navas Guest

    The electrical path is bent.
    There's nothing that restricts "reflex" to optical.
    There is no such "actual meaning". Language evolves.
    I think ZLR is more descriptive and accurate.

    I've explained this in great detail. Please refer to that post.

    John Navas, Feb 11, 2008
  10. measekite

    Allen Guest

    It is time to move this thread to r.p.d.zlr.
    Allen

    Allen, Feb 11, 2008
  11. measekite

    Guest Guest

    what a hoot. now that's grasping at straws.

    Guest, Feb 11, 2008
  12. measekite

    dj_nme Guest

    What do you suggest then?
    This type of digital camera only really has the EVF as their common
    trait: some have an ultrazoom lens and some have a modest zoom lens,
    some have mechanical zoom and others zoom by wire, some look like "fake
    SLR" and others just look different to anything else, some have large
    sensors and some have small sensors.

    What's your suggestion?

    dj_nme, Feb 11, 2008
  13. dj_nme wrote:
    []
    []

    The reflex is electronic.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 11, 2008
  14. measekite

    dj_nme Guest

    An electronic reflection?
    Are electrons being reflected into the viewfinder or are you just being
    facetious?

    dj_nme, Feb 11, 2008
  15. measekite

    dj_nme Guest

    That would make it the only non-spam since some time in mid December
    last year, even that was only the last spasms of the "DSLR Vs P&S equals
    film Vs didgital" thread which was crossposted to here (and
    alt.photography) anyway.

    dj_nme, Feb 11, 2008
  16. It's left-right or up-down reversal. If you have a single mirror, the
    image will be inverted or left-right reversed, hence the need for the
    second mirror (penta-mirror or penta-prism) in the SLR. Other TTL cameras
    (such as plate cameras) produce an upside-down image. ZLR cameras can
    avoid any inversions (or reflexions) purely by electronic means.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 11, 2008
  17. measekite

    dj_nme Guest

    You are correct up to this point, but no farther.
    No they don't.
    A ZLR camera is just an SLR cameras with a zoom lens integral with the
    body, they do not have an EVF.
    ZLR cameras have a TTL optical viewfinder, just like any other SLR camera.

    Just because you want an EVF to be a reflex viewfinder does not make it so.

    dj_nme, Feb 11, 2008
  18. dj_nme wrote:
    []
    I have two ZLR cameras here which both have EVFs - the Panasonic FZ5 and
    FZ20, and arguably the Nikon 8400 as well.
    The EVFs in my cameras function exactly as expected, providing a right-way
    up image. I would not "want" them to do anything else.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 11, 2008
  19. Was "Rita" posting at that time there?

    :)

    In any event, there will be no name changes or consolidations of the rpd
    hierarchy, regardless of how well the actual name tracks or is liked.

    But, please, keep on with the arguing!
    [Not referring to you, JT]

    John McWilliams, Feb 11, 2008
  20. measekite

    measekite Guest

    I agree. The more I use the EVF the more I like it. One issue is that
    the mfg need to really upgrade the EVF to the quality of the LCD. They
    need to understand that most of the enthusiasts who purchase this type
    of camera place a high value on the EVF.

    measekite, Feb 11, 2008