    Thank you!

    WBR,
    FROLOV Victor

    Victor Frolov, Aug 10, 2007

  2. www.BradReese.Com, Aug 10, 2007

  3. Hello,

    Thank you for your answer. It is not repairing of the units, it's just improving
    the hardware used at my home lab.
    At any case I'm not sure what you work in France.

    My question is, exactly, about third-part producers' fans, compatibal with
    fans installed in Cisco hardware.
    And I'm sure what I saw a discussion on this subject here some time ago.

    WBR,
    Victor

    w> Hi Victor,
    w>
    w> We can quote a repair on your 2 units, however, we will NOT sell the
    w> fans individually:
    w>
    w> http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm
    w>
    w> Sincerely,
    w>
    w> Brad Reese
    w> http://www.BradReese.Com
    WBR,
    FROLOV Victor

    Victor Frolov, Aug 13, 2007
  4. Victor Frolov

    mobbarley

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2007
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Victor,

    Get the model numbers from the installed fans and search google. You can usually find the manufacturers data which will give you certain key points:

    Size (including depth, this can also be found with a ruler)
    Voltage (usually 12v)
    Airflow (measured in CFM)
    Current (not very important if it is close, but can be used as a rough guide to CFM if it is not available, more current generally indicates faster RPM or more aggressive blade pitch and therefore higher CFM)
    noise (in db, the lower the quieter)
    Bearing Type (either ball or sleeve, ball is better but either should be acceptable)

    Most PC or electronics suppliers have these fans, find the size required, match the voltage and match airflow reasonably, everything else should be fine. I would recommend going with a brand name fan, as if your equipment is like mine it is on almost all day, a fan failure could be bad news.

    I am about to replace the fans in my 2600 routers, they are 60mm fans 25mm deep and are getting quite noisy with age due to dust build up and bearing wear, almost any new fan will be quiter than the old one.

    mobbarley, Aug 13, 2007

  5. There was a semi-recent discussion about asking for any replacement
    fans available in an A/V center to quiet the noise, and the replies
    were mostly put the gear into a ventilated closet, or duct it directly
    off the back of the unit.

    There's not going to be any hardware that is made to replace somebody
    elses fans in a chassis. You may be able to find something quieter,
    but you'll have to be redoing the wire harness on it at the very minimum.

    Cisco gear isn't designed to be quiet. Its designed to move air
    through quickly in a data center environment or a closet.
    The speed of the air through is more noise than the fan itself.

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 13, 2007