    work well with both? In either case, what would you recommend I buy?

    Thanks for any input!

    Devon

    Devon, Aug 26, 2007

  2. Devon

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Look at the ends of the lenses. Are they the same size?
    No. That means one lens hood would not fit both.

    Ray Fischer, Aug 26, 2007

  3. Devon

    ASAAR Guest

    Very unlikely. Take pictures using a tripod with both lenses at
    their shortest focal lengths with bright lights near, but not in the
    frame. See if either suffers from some flare. If so, fashion a
    cardboard tube into a crude lens hood and position it while looking
    through the viewfinder until it slightly blocks the view or causes
    vignetting, and then back it off a bit, take pictures and compare
    the flare. If it helps, then a lens hood probably also would. Some
    photographers leave their lens hoods at home and just use a hand to
    shield the lens when needed.

    ASAAR, Aug 26, 2007
  4. Devon

    Matt Ion Guest

    Depends on the lenses. My older EF 75-300 fits the same 58mm filters
    and lens hood as my 300D's 18-55 kit lens.

    Matt Ion, Aug 26, 2007
  5. Devon

    ASAAR Guest

    That they fit does not indicate that they'll work well. If you
    put a lens hood designed for the EF 75-300 on the 18-55mm lens and a
    hood designed for the 18-55mm lens on the EF 75-300, I'd imagine
    that one would provide no benefit and the other would cause severe
    vignetting, if not outright blockage. If the lens hood's thread is
    too large, a step-up adapter will allow it to be used. But whether
    it fits or not, the lens hood still has to accommodate the viewing
    angle of the lens, and that's unlikely to be the case with such
    dissimilar lenses. A single lens hood may work with both lenses,
    but only well at a subset of the focal length ranges.

    ASAAR, Aug 26, 2007
  6. Just as important as size is function. A 17-85mm hood has to clear 28mm
    equiv, and a 70-300 hood has to clear 70 equiv. (One should use a different
    hood on a lens used for both APS-C and FF.)

    Since one wants the most stray light blocking possible, using a 28mm hood on
    a 70-200 would be pretty useless.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Aug 26, 2007
  7. Devon

    Matt Ion Guest

    I'm not claiming otherwise... only correcting Ray's blanket statement
    that same hood wouldn't fit both lenses.

    Matt Ion, Aug 26, 2007
  8. Didn't mean to sound argumentative here; I just thought that overall in the
    thread function wasn't being emphasized enough.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Aug 26, 2007
  9. Devon

    Jim Guest

    I don't see how one hood would be usable with two such different lenses. I
    would follow Canon's advice. You can of course go down to your local camera
    store and buy generic hoods. In fact, you can buy them from B&H.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 26, 2007
  10. I'd like to point out that at least for Canon, the lens hood
    that comes with the lens may be quite wrong for that lens!

    As in, if you are using a full-frame (EF, not EF-S) lens
    on a 1.6 crop camera, you should use a "tighter fit"
    lens hood.

    Also, for wide angle lenses, you may very well be able to
    use amazingly small filters with the appropriate
    adapter ring without vignetting at all.

    This all applies in particular to the 24-105 f/4L.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Aug 26, 2007
  11. Devon

    Matt Ion Guest

    Can't disagree with that...

    Matt Ion, Aug 27, 2007
  12. Devon

    ASAAR Guest

    That's odd. I said pretty much the same thing (about 'function')
    in my earlier reply to your message, which concluded with :

    ASAAR, Aug 27, 2007
  13. Devon

    Matt Ion Guest

    What's odd about it? I didn't disagree with you either. I was only
    correcting Ray's rather snide generalization.

    Matt Ion, Aug 27, 2007
  14. The idea that a single lenshood is adequate for the standard zoom in
    question is itself fairly nuts. It's a 28-135mm equivalent. Better than
    nothing, but not much.

    This probably isn't quite as much of a problem on the 70-300. Maybe.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Aug 27, 2007
  15. Devon

    ASAAR Guest

    I understand. I also noticed the ambiguity, since there was no
    way to tell which part of David's sentence you were agreeing with.

    But as I said, the lens hood almost certainly wouldn't fit for
    reasons other than whether the thread fit both lenses. What Ray
    implied but didn't directly state was that the lenses had different
    thread sizes. But actually, if they do differ, and the 70-300mm
    takes a larger thread than the 17-85mm, with a suitable stepup
    adapter, the 70-300mm's lens hood might actually be a good match for
    the shorter lens. Very unlikely, but possible, I think.

    ASAAR, Aug 27, 2007
  16. Devon

    ASAAR Guest

    A fair solution would be to design the lens and matching hood so
    that when the lens is zoomed, the lens hood is also moved to the
    position that would block as much light as possible short of causing
    vignetting. It can't be very hard to design, especially since great
    accuracy isn't needed, and even speedlights have zoomed to match the
    lens's viewing angle for decades. The front lens element could also
    be moved, but that might complicate the lens design too much. I
    don't see the world clamoring for such a feature, but if this
    feature is added to one of their $4000+ pro lenses, it might gain
    fame as Canon's "what the L?" lens. :)

    If any lenses already do this it wouldn't surprise me too much,
    but I haven't heard of any that do . . .

    ASAAR, Aug 27, 2007
  17. Unless of course it's a collapsible or telescopic lens hood, such as
    the three stage rubber lens hoods you can get which range from medium
    wide to medium telephoto. They're also quite good at buffering knocks
    to the end of the lens :)

    Chris Malcolm, Aug 27, 2007