Questions regarding Sony Cybershot DSC-P73 and Sony memory sticks

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tongwer, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Tongwer

    Tongwer Guest

    Hi,

    I'm thinking of buying a Sony Cybershot DSC-P73, which
    seems ideally suited to my purposes, e.g. nice quality
    photos at a decent price. However I've only ever owned
    digital cameras which takes SD cards and the like, and
    Sony products all seem to take memory sticks.
    Essentially I have two questions regarding memory
    sticks:

    1) - Does this camera only take memory sticks, e.g. will
    it not take SD cards?

    2) - Will a 'Sony MSH128.CE 128Mb Memory Stick "High
    Grade" with MagicGate' do the job with this camera?

    I'm sorry for the rather simple nature of the questions,
    but I can't seem to find what I'm after on Google or
    Google Groups. Thanks in advance for any help.

    Tongwer, Oct 21, 2004

  2. It supports Memory Sticks only (my dscp72 does anyway and I don't think
    there has been any change with later models).
    AFAIK any Memory Stick or Memory Stick Pro (including the Magic Gate one you
    mention) will work:

    I have:
    Sony Memory Stick 16MB
    Sony Memory Stick "MagicGate" 64 MB
    SanDisk Memory Stick Pro "MagicGate" 256MB

    I find the 256MB one a reasonably ideal size -- will hold about 150 Fine
    full size pictures with my camera(about the maximum day's worth for me). The
    change from 3.2 to 4 MegaPixel means that with the p73 the maximum is
    probably 125 or so and wouldn't advise anything smaller.

    Brian Sullivan, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Tongwer

    Tongwer Guest

    Thanks very much for the fast and enlightening response!
    I may think again about getting a Sony as £50 for 256mb
    seems a little expensive. Thanks anyway.

    Tongwer, Oct 21, 2004
  4. I have always received extraordinarily good support from Sandisk. They stand
    by their products and are easy to work with

    Maria Ripanykhazova, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Tongwer

    SparkysDream Guest

    £35 from ebuyer (inc vat + delivery)
    http://tinyurl.com/7x335

    SparkysDream, Oct 22, 2004
  6. Tongwer

    Tongwer Guest

    It's still £5 cheaper for an SD card with twice the
    capacity. I'm now leaning towards a G400 which has a
    slot for both memory formats anyway. Thanks for the help
    everyone!

    Tongwer, Oct 22, 2004