Questions about software that fills in pdf forms

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by al2048, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. al2048

    al2048 Guest

    Hello. Earlier, I posted a request for some pdf-related software. I
    was unclear in my request, and I would now like to clarify things.

    I have downloaded some government forms from the Internet. These
    government forms are pdf forms. I need some software that fills in a
    pdf form and that saves the filled-in form.

    Currently, I have Adobe Reader 6.0 on Windows ME. Adobe Reader 6.0 can
    1) open the pdf form and 2) allow the user to fill in the form.
    However, Adobe Reader 6.0 can not save the filled-in form. To save the
    filled-in form, I have to obtain Adobe Acrobat Professional or Adobe
    Acrobat Standard. The Professional and the Standard cost money, and a
    free-trial version of the Professional is not available for Windows
    ME.

    So, is there some free piece of software that can save a filled-in pdf
    form? The software can be free software or free-trial software.

    Thanks for any information.

    Regards,

    Alex K.

    al2048, Mar 7, 2007

  2. al2048

    Whiskers Guest

    I've never encountered this approach to form-filling myself, but I think
    the intention is that you type your answers into the form and then print
    it - presumably your typed answers are printed along with the original
    form - or print the form and then fill it in by hand. If you want to keep
    a copy for yourself, you are expected to scan or photo-copy the completed
    form before you send it off by snail-mail or take it in person to the place
    where it is required. It isn't a 'computerised form', it's just a way to
    deliver the blank form to you on-line and make you pay for the printing
    instead of whoever wants the thing completed.

    If you were able to edit and save the PDF file yourself, then you could in
    theory change the questions or other parts of the form to suit yourself -
    which would make the whole system unworkable.

    Whiskers, Mar 7, 2007

  3. al2048

    Spuds Guest

    You could try one of the many free .PDF printer drivers. They allow you to
    "print" to a .PDF file.
    The one I use is PDF Creator.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

    Spuds, Mar 7, 2007

  4. DING DING DING ... we have a winner. This is the easy & free way to do
    what the OP wants.

    Dennis Turner, Mar 7, 2007
  5. al2048

    Spuds Guest

    Mom always told me I was a real winner...

    Spuds, Mar 7, 2007