Questions about IDE drives, ATA, S-ATA

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s-y-n-e-r-g-y, Nov 3, 2005.

  1. More newbie questions about this new computer I've built... apologies
    if these are completely stupid questions, but if anyone can answer one
    or more it would be much appreciated....

    1) When I boot my computer up I note that my hard drive shows as the
    Primary Master, and the DVD burner shows up as the Secondary Slave. Is
    this okay? Does it matter if the DVD burner is showing as a slave
    instead of a master? Note, physically their both on different ata 133
    cables.

    2) I also note the DVD burner shows as ATA33 when I boot up.. is this
    normal? I tried to watch a dvd tonight and it was very choppy, low
    framerates etc. Maybe this was the reason?

    3) I just learned what S-ATA is tonight.. I'm positive my motherboard
    has it... but I'm not sure if my harddrive does as well.. how can I
    tell? (its a seagate 250meg, thats all I know). When I installed it
    looked like a normal harddrive, so I just hooked it up like the dozens
    of other harddrives i have in the past, by plugging in the IDE cable...
    questions.. (a) How do I check that this HD is sata ready? (b) do I
    need a special "sata" cable or IDE converter or something? (c) if I
    convert it from ide to sata would I lose the data on it?

    Thanks in advance

    s-y-n-e-r-g-y, Nov 3, 2005

  2. s-y-n-e-r-g-y

    usshissem Guest

    sata drives are marked as such..and if you have your hd and your burner
    on different cables, i.e., different ide connection, then make EACH one
    MASTER...

    usshissem, Nov 3, 2005

  3. s-y-n-e-r-g-y

    x1134x Guest

    An SATA drive that is 250 "meg" could be filled in one second. I think
    you mean 250 "gig".

    A good way to test if it is the drive causing the poor playback would
    be to rip the DVD to the HD and try to play from there. This will
    tell you if there's a weak link elsewhere in your playback. You can
    download DVD shrink and/or DVD Decrypter to do this. You'll like DVD
    Shrink, since you have a burner, you can "backup" your DVDs to 4.7 gig
    blanks. Also if the drive came w/ a driver, install it, windows might
    have used a generic.

    x1134x

    x1134x, Nov 3, 2005
  4. s-y-n-e-r-g-y

    x1134x Guest

    To cut off all you hair splitting people I correct myself, a 250 "meg"
    write would take 1.953125 seconds on a 3Gb/s rate. . . .theoretically.
    Which is closer to 2 seconds.

    x1134x

    x1134x, Nov 3, 2005
  5. s-y-n-e-r-g-y

    x1134x Guest

    and I highly doubt its a S-ATA if its a 250 "meg" drive. They haven't
    made those since the 80s, don't you mean 250 "gig"? An sata drive that
    was 250 meg could be completely filled in one second.

    no experience w/ ata dvd drives, sorry only IDE. But I don't think IDE
    and sata drives are interchangeable with a converter.

    A good way to test if it *is* the drive that is causing the slowness is
    to rip the dvd to the HD and play from there, download DVD shrink,
    and/or DVD Decrypter do do this, they're free. You'll like DVD shrink

    x1134x, Nov 3, 2005
  6. s-y-n-e-r-g-y

    why? Guest

    Okay, each interface (primary / secondary ATA) can have 2 devices ,
    Master and Slave, for a total of 4.

    Keep if possible hard drives on a different cable from optical devices.

    Hardisk can have a range of speeds 33/66/100/133 , optical are 33/66.

    Then there are 40 way cables ATA 33/66 and 80 way cables for 100/133 ,
    and after that the BIOS can auto detect 40/80 way connections or you can
    set it manually.

    (Somewhere in 24HSHD past posts, a lot of this has been covered before
    http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk? )

    So the drive interface ATA (bit) , matched what the port of the
    interface on the mobo can do matches the cable.
    Yes, newer devices are ATA 66.
    Could be CPU, RAM, AV , other processes.
    It has 2 sets of interfaces IDE and a smaller black plug for a slide on
    connector. Only use 1 at a time.
    SATA is a different cable.
    No, it's only the interface it's connected to.

    If it's your boot drive you would have to make sure your BIOS can be
    seet to boot from the SATA drive.

    Instead of a wide 40 or 80 wire (usually) gray cable SATA cables are 1/2
    inch wide red cables.
    Here are some picture, if you get bored by the words.

    40 way IDE cable
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/z_000517idecable40.jpg

    80 way, note which connection goes where and the color of of connectors
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/cabling/ide7.jpg

    SATA cable , data
    http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/images/7-pin-sata-cable.gif

    SATA cable, power (adapter)
    http://www.mini-itx.com/store/images/sata-power.jpg
    the black end.

    SATA power on back of drive
    http://www.wdc.com/en/company/branding/usage-files/sata_power_l.jpg
    the other small connector to the right of the power is the data.

    Me

    why?, Nov 3, 2005
  7. s-y-n-e-r-g-y

    x1134x Guest

    Tell me how a SERIAL cable can transfer data faster than PARRALLEL
    cable please? is it just because the science has been geared toward
    speeding up serial communications more due to internet over the
    telephone? because parrallel communication should ALWAYS be faster
    than parrallel.

    x1134x

    x1134x, Nov 3, 2005
  8. s-y-n-e-r-g-y

    why? Guest

    Simple answer , technology.
    One reason may be a serial cable sends out data in a single stream and
    it's easy to match 2 clocks at both ends.

    A parallel cable has to sync across all the lines, just a bit more
    complex, (ignoring other issues, like serial <-> parallel conversions in
    the UART serial controller chips).

    Saying that looking at the usual standard Serial Comms ports 115200 baud
    is common, and the last time I used Laplink a lot the parallel port
    wasn't much different.

    Then technology comes into play, with ECP/EPP parallel port which are
    faster.
    What's the internet and telephone have to do with anything?
    Read your last bit again.
    Me

    why?, Nov 4, 2005