  1. Matt Casey

    RoyLFuchs Guest

    My first was a '62 Oldsmobile F-85 with an all Aluminum V-8.

    RoyLFuchs, May 18, 2009

  2. Matt Casey

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    While we are reminiscing, mine was a '71 Chevy Nova, 307cid, no power
    brakes (4 wheel drums!), no power steering, no A/C, AM radio and a
    cigarette lighter.

    BlueBuyYoo, May 18, 2009

  3. With a car like that, you could solve a puzzle; or maybe even answer
    some questions.

    Richard Cranium, May 18, 2009
  4. Matt Casey

    RoyLFuchs Guest

    Hard top or sedan? Being a 307, I'd say it was a sedan. Virtually
    worthless.

    RoyLFuchs, May 18, 2009
  5. Matt Casey

    RoyLFuchs Guest

    The 389 was one of Pontiac's best engines.

    I think it is so funny, all these cops getting new cars every couple
    years.

    Grumpy Jenkins preferred "seasoned blocks" (used), because they were far
    less likely to blow, as all of their heat stresses have been relieved and
    they're tested for cracks. The cops should all keep the motors from their
    current cars when they get new cars, and rebuild those, and start a chain
    of seasoned motors being placed into their newly purchased cruisers. Then
    they could catch those speeders.

    That is way too logical for them though.

    RoyLFuchs, May 18, 2009
  6. Matt Casey

    RoyLFuchs Guest

    Naaaa...Cheverolet had a 396 small block.
    There is a big difference between a carburetor and fuel injection, but
    engines back then were more powerful in the high octane, high compression
    days.
    They are dirt cheap right now too, considering the market perception
    for guzzlers right now.

    RoyLFuchs, May 18, 2009
  7. Matt Casey

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    I didn't say it was a classic! It was a green sedan. Driver's door was
    black. I bought it in 1977 for around $500. Lots of good memories
    driving that tank.

    BlueBuyYoo, May 18, 2009
  8. Matt Casey

    RoyLFuchs Guest

    It most certainly was.
    No. The 396 Big Block was a Big Block. The 396 Small Block was a
    Small Block. The 396 Big Block was the smallest displacement Big Block
    one could get, and the 396 Small Block was the biggest Small Block one
    could get, and yes, it was most certainly a factory option. They just
    happened to refer to it as the "400", even though that was not the actual
    displacement.
    I worked on my brother's which had the 302 old style engine design in
    it. That was like his twentieth car.
    I used to build racing engines, I do not need a primer on what is
    available, or what was ever manufactured.

    RoyLFuchs, May 18, 2009
  9. Hi Archie:

    On this topic, I had my first brand new car as a 1965 Pontiac LeMans
    GTO with that 389 in a tri-power configuration. Got it with a close
    ratio 4-speed and a fancy Hurst shifter. Advertised BHP was 365 and
    it went like a raped ape when pushed. Only one problem: it had the
    same brakes as the 6-cyl LeMans, which were marginal. Had a few
    interesting brake fade stops on the Turpike in the summer that kept me
    keenly aware of what was at the wheels. There was a sintered metallic
    brake pad option, but who knew? Couldn't just switch pads because the
    metallic brakes required special drums that were much more heat
    resistant. Car was stolen in 1968 and is probably a staff car for
    some tribal ruler in the Gobi desert today.

    Now will you try to solve the puzzle?

    Richard Cranium, May 18, 2009