Question with VPN and TFTP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Douglas, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Douglas

    Douglas Guest

    We have 2 offices, main office has a PIX 506E, remote uses a Cisco 851. We
    currently have a VPN in place, works just fine.

    Main Office (PIX 506e)
    10.0.0.x

    Remote Office (851)
    192.168.3.x

    At the main office we have an IP phone system from Avaya. The IP phone
    system has a built in TFTP server, 10.0.0.15 is the IP for it. I can
    connect an IP Phone on the LAN with the phone system and it finds the TFTP
    just fine. However, when I bring it to the remote office, it cannot find
    the TFTP server. I can ping the IP phone, 192.168.3.70, and it responds,
    but we cannot get the TFTP to come up.

    Any suggestions for what I might be missing when it comes to this?

    Thanks!
    -Douglas

    Douglas, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Douglas

    Merv Guest

    Get a sniffer trace of how the phone finds the TFTP server - is it by
    broadcasting to 255.255.255.255 or is the TFTP server address
    configured on the phone ?

    You need to see if the 851 supports the "ip helper-address" command in
    the case the phones are looking for the phone TFTP server by
    broadcasting. Those broadcasts will not leave the local LAN.

    Do you have DHCP server configured on the 851 ? this maybe another
    difficulty in try to use the ip helper-address" command. Would need to
    separate phones into one VLAN and PCs into another on th 851

    Merv, Mar 10, 2006

  3. not sure if the same goes for avaye, but on Cisco Phones the TFTP server is
    obtained via DHCP option 150
    So maybe your remote LAN's DHCP service doesnt provide that option to the
    phone.

    HTH
    Martin Bilgrav

    Martin Bilgrav, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Douglas

    Douglas Guest

    I have manually configured the phone with the necessary info. I gave it a
    static IP address, the correct subnet mask, the correct default gateway, the
    correct CallServer and the correct File Server. I just want to make sure
    there isn't anything that has to be done in the tunnel or the firewall
    rules.

    Douglas, Mar 10, 2006