    hardware, or should it work as I have stated. This is
    all new to me, and I would really appreciate any help
    at all. Thanks in advance.

    Guy DeStefano, Nov 5, 2004

  2. :Currently I have (3) computers, all with WinXPPro
    :with a DSL line, connected to a PIX 501. I have
    :eek:ne static address. The DSL line goes directly into
    :the PIX 501, and the (3) computers are placed in
    :slots 1-3 of the PIX. Everything works super, no
    :problems at all. I want to add (2) more computers
    :to the system. PIX has but (1) available slot. I am
    :shortly receiving a Cisco 2950-24 switch.

    :My question is, will I be able connect the DSL wall line
    :attached into the DSL modem and from there, a Cat5
    :cable into the PIX 501. Then attach a Cat5 cable from
    :EX: slot (1) of the PIX into slot (1) of the 2950-24,
    :then attach the (5) Cat5 cables from each of the (5)
    :computers into EX: slots (2-6) of the 2950-24 switch.
    :Will I have to do any modifications to either piece of
    :hardware, or should it work as I have stated. This is
    :all new to me, and I would really appreciate any help
    :at all. Thanks in advance.

    What you propose should work fine. You should not have any
    problems with that scheme until you add another 5 internal
    computers: at that point you would start to run into the PIX 501
    license limits.

    The Cisco 2950-24 is a lot faster than you likely need for your
    purposes, but it should work well, and should be a nice learning tool.
    (If you were just trying to connect that few systems together, you
    could have gotten away with a $50 switch, probably, but the 2950
    will do a lot more than any $50 switch would.)

    Walter Roberson, Nov 5, 2004

  3. Walter;

    Thank you very much for the prompt reply.
    I really appreciate it. Thanks.

    Guy

    Guy DeStefano, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Guy DeStefano

    Layer3guru Guest

    Layer3guru, Nov 6, 2004
  5. I only have the 10 version. I purchased the PIX via the Internet
    it is about 8 months old. Do I need a software upgrade
    license of some sort. I have v 6.3.3.
    Thanks Guy

    Guy DeStefano, Nov 6, 2004
  6. :I only have the 10 version. I purchased the PIX via the Internet
    :it is about 8 months old. Do I need a software upgrade
    :license of some sort. I have v 6.3.3.

    The newest version is 6.3(4). If you are the original owner
    of the PIX, you would be entitled to a free upgrade from 6.3(3)
    to 6.3(4), as there is a known security problem with 6.3(3).
    I wouldn't say that it is a particularily serious problem, but
    Cisco's policy is to provide free upgrades when they put in
    any security fix.

    But it isn't clear what you mean by "via the Internet". If you
    mean yours is used, then be careful about how you talk to Cisco,
    as their policy is that the software license is not transferable
    except upon payment of a "relicensing" fee. If your PIX was registered
    with Cisco somehow then they *will* check the serial number against
    your name if you ask them for the free upgrade.

    Sometime earlier this year (I don't recall exactly when), Cisco changed
    the way they handle registrations for warrantees and SmartNet, making
    the distributor responsible for logging in to Cisco and entering the
    data about who the device or SmartNet contract was sold to. Before,
    you used to get an entitlement key included with the device or
    SmartNet shipment and you would be responsible for logging on and
    entering it to activate the registration; that system is now gone.
    And that in turn means that for a used device, even if the original
    owner took no specific action to register the product with Cisco,
    that the device would be registered [by the distributor]. The PIX
    is not sold in retail stores, so the distributor has a record of who
    each PIX is sold to... it's not like walking into Fry's and plunking
    down cash for a D-Link wireless device with firewall features.

    As a further note: if you are not the original owner, then you should
    think seriously about paying the relicensing fee. I don't say that
    just from the standpoint of protecting yourself against possible
    lawsuits or criminal copyright violation charges (though those are
    factors): I say that because the next software release due out,
    PIX 7.0, apparently has some very big software enhancements
    that will make the device much more interesting. As described above,
    you won't easily be able to get that new version when it finally
    shows up (it's late!) unless you are a registered owner.

    Walter Roberson, Nov 6, 2004
  7. |>
    |>> What you propose should work fine. You should not have any
    |>> problems with that scheme until you add another 5 internal
    |>> computers: at that point you would start to run into the PIX 501
    |>> license limits.

    |This is nto true he may have the 50 license version like I have.

    Someone with only 3 computers is quite unlikely to have a 50 user license
    PIX 501, as the 50 user license adds quite a bit to the price.

    My answer was, you will note, phrased in terms of 'that scheme',
    which is a contextual response instead of an absolute response about
    what might be possible if the user has suped-up equipment that they
    didn't happen to mention.

    Walter Roberson, Nov 6, 2004
  8. Walter;
    Thanks again for your much valued help. I am sorry for the
    confusion. Yes I did purchase it brand new from an authorized
    Cisco seller ( SecureMart ), I referenced Internet, because doing
    one of the ( Lowest price search, I found $354.00, overnight
    shipping, and no sales tax ). That was in January, 2004. I have
    never had any upgrade etc.. Yes they should have my serial
    number registered, as the first week, I did get in touch with
    Cisco support, and they helped with my original setup. Although
    I think they told me I had free 90 day support, which was over
    almost eight months ago. Is there a certain department or
    the regular support number to see if I can receive the 6.3.4
    I just looked at my sheet, and I have 6.3.1. software. Should I
    wait until the release of 7.0 to purchase an upgrade license. As
    of right now, I have no problems ( Knocks on Wood ).

    Thanks again Guy

    Guy DeStefano, Nov 6, 2004
  9. : Is there a certain department or
    : the regular support number to see if I can receive the 6.3.4
    : I just looked at my sheet, and I have 6.3.1. software.

    I've cited the exact URL a few times, but the easiest thing to
    do is google cisco.com for PIX security-advisories 6.3(3)
    You will not find an explicit reference to 6.3(4), but you will
    find an entitlement to 6.3(3)118 or something similar, and rather than
    give you that exact release, Cisco will make 6.3(4) available to
    you. Some people have reported difficulties in getting the TAC to
    honour that.

    Ah, you referenced a particular distributor. Before contacting the
    TAC, you are supposed to contact your distributor and cite the
    magic URL to them, and -they- are supposed to give you 6.3(4).
    You only go to the TAC if the distributor cannot or will not make
    6.3(4) available to you [or if you had bought directly from Cisco.]

    :Should I
    : wait until the release of 7.0 to purchase an upgrade license.

    Maybe. There can't be many (if any) 6.3 releases left after
    6.3(4). 7.0 has been in beta since early this year, and was due
    out in the spring if I remember correctly. I haven't heard any
    rumours about the current intended release date. Maybe in time
    for xmas ;-)

    Walter Roberson, Nov 6, 2004