    both computers share files? I have tried and have failed.. Is this
    farily simple?
    Thanks

    KOS, Feb 13, 2011

  2. You must create a workgroup that includes all of the machines you want to
    share files among.

    You might name the group ANIMALS, then name the machines, BIRDS, MAMMALS,
    REPTILES, FISH, etc., for management reasons.

    Once you have created the workgroup and set all members up to share files,
    then you have to either go in and share the specific folders or move the
    files to the PUBLIC Folders section of your file structure. The XP machine
    has SHARED DOCUMENTS, whereas the Vista machine has PUBLIC DOCUMENTS. Both
    have variations of My Pictures, My Videos, My Documents, and so on. The
    SHARED/PUBLIC folders are the default share folders, but you can Right Click
    any folder and choose Share, and the contents will be visible to the other
    members of the group.

    Jeff Strickland, Feb 13, 2011

  3. KOS

    Kele Guest

    Jeff, I've forgotten, how does one begin "You must create a workgroup that
    includes all of the machines you want to
    share files among"? Say from the XP machine.

    Piggy-backing onto what Jeff wrote... From the XP's point of view and once
    you get connections established, go to desktop's Network>Entire
    Network>Microsoft Windows Network>WorkGroup>as a method to see the connected
    computers; you can create Destop Shotcuts if desired. Also, I don't know if
    this is necessary, but I named the member(s) in the Workgroup the actual
    computer name(s). I'm dealing between XP (hard wired to router) and Win7
    (wireless) Also got a printer hard wired to the XP also working with the
    wireless Win7.

    -----------

    Kele, Feb 14, 2011
  4. KOS

    KOS Guest

    not working at all I both computers dont even seen each other

    does someone have a website that walks you through the steps? again
    this is the setup
    Desktop wired to a router.... wireless laptop goes off the router
    simple but can not get them to share anything

    i just need the steps to take from step 1 to end
    thanks

    KOS, Feb 15, 2011
  5. KOS

    Kele Guest

    I haven't found good online instructions either. I had a hard time doing
    the same thing. I remember what helped for me...

    Hard wire (Ethernet cable) your laptop (temporarily) to the router. This
    tells your router that the connected PC is, in fact, a home network PC. It
    also automatically plugs in the necessary pass keys. Disconnect the laptop
    to resume wireless. Then set-up the Work Group.

    Half your problem is adding your PC to the wireless router - which might be
    why there is little on-line as routers differ. Note that the wireless
    adapter in the laptop must have the same setting as the router, b, g, n. If
    your router is set to transmit "n" and your laptop has a b, & g adapter and
    no n, they won't talk. You can usually set a router to transmit all bands,
    and that might be good for now. Also, the router has an
    encryption/decryption. The laptop must also have the same encryption level
    as that of the router or they won't talk.

    Kele, Feb 15, 2011