Question(s) on Def Con:

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by !Jones, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. !Jones

    !Jones Guest

    Hello All;

    My college is trying to talk me into going to Def Con this year (the
    NSF is going to pay for it, of course.) I'm less than thrilled about
    going to Las Vegas, NV at the end of July. Actually, I can't think of
    anyplace I'd less rather go *any* time. (The good residents thereof
    shouldn't take offense.)

    So... what's the scoop on Def Con? I hear wildly conflicting stories
    that it's 1) cutting edge computer security and 2) adolescent hackers
    drinking beer and getting laid for the first time in 'Vegas. I
    suppose that it could be both depending upon one's perspective.

    Has anyone been to Def Con? What is your take on it? Does anyone
    have any links to critical information? (I have
    http://www.defcon.org/, of course.) How do I learn to speak CyberPunk
    by then? Do I have to smoke pot or anything? I tried it in the '60s
    and wasn't impressed.

    Jones

    !Jones, Mar 16, 2005

  2. !Jones

    ArtDent Guest

    Just FYI, it has gone thru many upgrades and patches since then, it is
    almost a whole new product.
    ;)

    ArtDent, Mar 16, 2005

  3. !Jones

    !Jones Guest

    Well, I'm too far gone to be "cool", so I'll pass. It's OK for a
    20-something to be that; however, a 50-something just looks pathetic
    if he tries. Face it: sooner or later, you gotta grow up. It sucks,
    but it's true.

    Jones

    !Jones, Mar 16, 2005
  4. !Jones

    winged Guest

    You mean I have to grow up next year...sigh That just isn't fair.

    Winged

    winged, Mar 17, 2005
  5. !Jones

    johns Guest

    I quit going to computer "meetings". You get to sit and
    listen to some snot-nose kid use jargon, or worse, you
    get to sit and listen to some CS major preaching 20
    year old hog-wash about Linux, and running down
    MS Windows. Neither of them is going to come out
    of the 80s, and every thing they tell you doesn't work,
    or has been replaced by something that works better.
    Only thing you might get out of a computer conference
    is there might be one or two gamers in the group. Get
    with them, and catch up on all the new developments
    in case design, and the best chipset for the AMD 64.
    The game market is driving the AMDs, and all the
    me-toos are "finally" beginning to wonder what all the
    noise is about. They haven't a clue, but at the same time,
    they are dropping everything and redesigning all their
    network devices around the game boxes ... and then
    taking credit for everything ( like Sun Microsystems
    is doing ). They don't know squat, and a couple days
    with the gamers will fill you in. Maybe get some pointers
    on tactics in Far Cry ... best hardware.

    johns

    johns, Mar 17, 2005