Question on WEP and Linksys WRE54G Range Extender??

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by pattyjamas, May 14, 2005.

  1. pattyjamas

    pattyjamas Guest

    I have 2 questions for you kind people.

    I can enable WEP on my Linksys WRT54GS and it generates keys for me.

    1. I assume that key 1 is the key I would use and enter the Hex string
    into any visitors laptop, correct?

    2. I can not use my PC (Windows XP) to get to the wireless router with
    192.168.1.240 . I cannot even ping it. I did a reset on it and
    autocinfig with the button on the side...still cannot ping it.

    If I disable WEP on the WRTreGS router, then it all works fine.

    What am I doing wrong? Or perhaps should I do the range extender first
    (enable wep)?

    Thanks, Patty

    pattyjamas, May 14, 2005

  2. pattyjamas

    pattyjamas Guest

    The problem is with an IBOOK G4 not being able to work with the
    Linksys. Perhaps it needs a firmware and software upgrade from Apple.
    It does not accept a WPA or WEP password stating that it does not
    recognize encryption.

    Ideas?

    Thanks,
    Patty