    folder is empty. However, if I right-click on the folder and select
    properties, I see that it still contains about 33,000 files and is still
    taking up about 88mb. Where is it picking this information up from?

    Speck Tater, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Speck Tater

    Unk Guest

    Did you check the box, "Delete offline content" too?

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options. Click the "General"
    tab, Under "Temporary Internet Files", click the "Delete Files" button,
    check the box, "Delete all offline content", "OK". After it finishes, click
    the "Settings" button and lower the amount of disk space to use to 20 Meg.
    Click "OK", "Apply". That will increase your hard drive space by how
    much was in that folder. I've seen it well over a gig. Folders that big are
    prone to crosslinked files. Clear it weekly, or sooner, especially if IE
    starts acting funny.

    Also click the "Advanced" tab, scroll down to "Security", and check the box,
    "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed", click
    "Apply", "OK"

    If that fails to empty it, try Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools,
    Disk Cleanup.

    Another way is to delete it from a DOS session.

    Start up in the DOS mode. (Windows95, 98, 98se)
    Reboot, hold down the "Control" key during startup,
    select "Command Prompt Only".
    (Any other OS that uses Fat32, boot to a DOS floppy)

    At the DOS prompt, type:

    deltree /y c:\Windows\tempor~1

    Reboot. Windows will create a new folder automatically.

    Unk, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Speck Tater

    Speck Tater Guest

    No can do. I tried everything. The folder is empty but if I still
    right-click and the properties it shows 29 folders and about 33,000 files
    taking up 89mb. I don't get it.

    Speck Tater, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Speck Tater

    trout Guest

    You haven't mentioned your OS. In 'Folder Options'; do you have
    'Show Hidden' files selected? How about 'System' files?
    Are there other users of that computer (as in multiple temp file
    locations)?
    You could try (if you haven't, yet) a cleaning utility like
    Easycleaner:
    <http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm>
    Also, generally, it's just for cleaning out index files (obviously
    not what you're dealing with at *that* size), but maybe running Spider
    would help figure out what's happened, here:
    Spider: http://tinyurl.com/eoyl (Both programs are freeware.)

    trout, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Speck Tater

    Isaac Guest

    When you go to the 'Temporary Internet Files' you don't see the real
    contents. Inside is a file 'Desktop.ini', in which is a GUID, which points
    to a filter which will filter the contents you see. (It will change the
    icon either, thats why this map has a different icon.

    You kan pass this filter with a command prompt.

    There is a bug in the 'Clear Temporary Internet Files', it will only delete
    the files from which the entries are kept in some internal database. I
    suppose your database is corrupted.

    You can just delete the whole map, then Windos will install a clean one.

    Isaac

    Isaac, Apr 9, 2004
  6. Speck Tater

    Richard Guest

    Click the view menu then "refresh".
    This should clear up the erroneous report.
    Also run scan disk and do a defrag.

    Richard, Apr 9, 2004
  7. Speck Tater

    °Mike° Guest

    Reboot.

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004
  8. Speck Tater

    Speck Tater Guest

    No can do. Report remains the same no matter what. Even after a reboot.

    Speck Tater, Apr 9, 2004
  9. Speck Tater

    Speck Tater Guest

    Tried that....no can do. Same numbers always popping up no matter what.

    Speck Tater, Apr 9, 2004
  10. Speck Tater

    °Mike° Guest

    Exactly HOW are you deleting these files, and
    exactly WHERE is the target folder? Give details;
    remember nobody in this group has access to
    your machine, or knows anything about it, or
    what you are doing. If you fail to give details
    you will fail to get the help you are requesting.

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004
  11. Speck Tater

    Iceman Guest

    Iceman, Apr 9, 2004
  12. Speck Tater

    Speck Tater Guest

    The files are located at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local
    Settings\Temporary Internet Files. I deleted them using Control
    Panel/Internet Options and deleted all files, cookies, and off-line content.
    I also did a disk cleanup as well. After doing this, I go into my Temporary
    Internet Files folder and I don't see anything. I even changed the VIEW for
    folders to see if there are any hidden system files or something and nothing
    is there. I tried rebooting as well.

    But when I right-click on the Temporary Internet Files folder and click
    Properties I always see the same numbers (Ex: 29 folders, 32768 files)

    Speck Tater, Apr 9, 2004
  13. Speck Tater

    Speck Tater Guest

    I have tried the solutions mentioned here. Still no can do. Maybe
    something has been corrupted.

    Speck Tater, Apr 9, 2004
  14. Speck Tater

    °Mike° Guest

    Ok, you may have a damaged TIF folder. Boot into
    Safe Mode as administrator, and delete the entire
    ...."Username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"
    folder. When you boot back into your profile, the
    folder will be recreated as new.

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004
  15. Speck Tater

    Speck Tater Guest

    Sounds risky as I'm not too familiar with safe mode. I'm using XP
    professional and I always log in as the administrator so do i have to do it
    in safe mode. I need a walkthrough :)

    Speck Tater, Apr 9, 2004
  16. Speck Tater

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, you will HAVE to do it in Safe Mode, as the folder
    is protected by the system during a normal session.

    A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

    Just press F8 at startup and choose Safe Mode. Log in
    as administrator, and delete that folder.... simple.

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004
  17. Speck Tater

    Speck Tater Guest

    As a safety measure what I did was renamed that folder and then rebooted in
    the thought that a new Temporary Internet Files folder would be created. It
    did not. But I was still able to go into Control Panel and delete all my
    Temporary internet files. How does that happen when I had renamed the
    folder?

    Speck Tater, Apr 9, 2004
  18. Speck Tater

    °Mike° Guest

    Because the TIFs folder is a 'Shell Folder', and the
    system keeps track of it. See:

    You do NOT have to worry about safety measures,
    when deleting this folder. Windows will NOT let you
    do it in a normal session, and when you delete if from
    Safe Mode, it gets recreated when you boot back
    into that profile.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004
  19. Speck Tater

    Speck Tater Guest

    OK....I just found something out as I was about to follow your suggestion.
    I moved the TIF folder to another directory. When I looked at the contents
    of the folder I had about 7 files. Then I decided to Copy/Paste the TIF
    folder back to its' original location. What happened was 33,000 files were
    being copied back. After the process finished, there was a sub-folder under
    the TIF folder called Content.IE5. Under this folder I was able to view the
    29 folders and 33,000 files that was showing under Properties. Why wasn't I
    able to see it before? Should I still delete now without knowing what the
    Content.IE5 is all about?

    Speck Tater, Apr 9, 2004
  20. Speck Tater

    °Mike° Guest

    You haven't been deleting the TIFs correctly,
    and you are leading me around in circles; I've
    already told you what to do, and I'm not going
    to play chase-the-leader.

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004