    How do I change my systems settings so that it will save the .jpg images
    full size? I have a Dell computer and am running Win '98SE & IE version 6+.

    Thanks!

    Phil Marshall, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Phil Marshall

    Chet Guest

    I think it has more to do with how you are printing the saved file than on
    the saving process. When IE gives you a choice to save a picture as .JPG it
    is because the picture was sent in that format. With a different picture
    you might have a choice to save as .GIF because it was sent in that format.
    When I open a saved picture with IrfanView it shows on the screen the same
    size as in the original display but I can print it any size I want from
    postage stamp to full page.

    Chet, Nov 3, 2003

  3. What are you using to print it? AFAIK the format in which it's saved
    doesn't affect the size of the printed picture-only the quality.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Here's some more info... I just did a comparison on two pics that I
    have saved to file. The pic that was saved as a .bmp is 2584KB in size.
    The copy of the same picture that I saved as a .jpg is 160KB in size.
    The .bmp will print out to full page size, while the .jpg is barely
    1/4 page size.

    The pics I save are from different newsgroups. They are almost always
    given in the .jpg format. That said, I have learned from experience that if
    I only try to save them in .jpg format about 15% of the time there will
    be some problem with the file & it will not open corectly. Thats why I tend
    to save them in both formats. The problem is the pics saved as .jpg's, the
    file size is smaller than the original for some reason, and won't print
    out full size. Bummer :(

    Thanks again (going off-line, i'll check back later)

    Phil Marshall, Nov 3, 2003
  5. The reason for the difference in file size is because bmp is an
    uncompressed format while jpg is a compressed format. Compression
    affects file size but not picture size.

    Without specific examples I'm guessing, but the biggest difference for
    the size difference is IME resolution. Pictures taken at VGA resolution
    (640x480) print out smaller than pictures taken at XGA resolution
    (1024x768). It can depend on the application too, though. Some
    applications can enlarge or shrink the image for display or printing-in
    which case the resolution only affects the image quality.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 3, 2003
  6. Phil Marshall

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Phil Marshall) wrote in $:
    You do not understand what a JPEG file is used for. It is a compressed
    image, while a BMP is a bitmap, as in, a completely uncompressed image.
    That is why there is a difference of file size. If you are seeing
    different printed sizes, it has /nothing/ what-so-ever to do with the fact
    it is a JPEG, it is either the original was that size, or your software is
    shrinking it.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 3, 2003
  7. And thinking about it, assuming that he's using the same software for
    all pictures (which is what makes sense to me) it would be shrinking/not
    shrinking them the same regardless of the file type. So IMO it pretty
    much *has* to be the original.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 3, 2003
  8. Phil Marshall

    Tobor8thMan Guest

    It can also depend on the DPI (Dots Per Inch) the image was saved at. Web
    standard is 72 DPI. However, some images you find on the web are not at 72
    DPI. Instead, they have been "resized" in the HTML editing software. When
    the image is saved from the browser, it will be saved at its original DPI
    regardless of how it appears on the website (which would account for
    differing printout sizes).

    Tobor8thMan, Nov 3, 2003
  9. Phil Marshall

    Plato Guest

    The .jpgs are full size assuming the webmaster did them correctly in
    ..jpg

    Plato, Nov 4, 2003
  10. Ah, yes. That's what seems to be happening. Let me put this another way.

    As an example- I'm in a newsgroup. I see a picture I like (.jpg) and I
    print it out. Now if I were to save that same picture as a .jpg file, and
    print it out later it prints out much smaller (in size) than the copy I
    printed earlier off of the web. Some setting on my system seems to be
    reducing the file size & I don't know how to change this.

    Phil Marshall, Nov 4, 2003
  11. Phil Marshall

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Phil Marshall) wrote in $:
    No, no and more no. The file size does not affect *ANYTHING* at all. The
    reason the file is smaller is because JPEGs are compressed. They represent
    the same picture in terms of dimensions (height, width), but take up less
    space.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 4, 2003
  12. Phil Marshall

    Chet Guest

    You still haven't said what you use to print the file. Most graphics
    programs allow you to specify the print size of an image.

    Chet, Nov 5, 2003