Question from a newbie about which VOIP is best to use when I am studying in Europe and wanting to c

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ura, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. Ura

    Ura Guest


    I'm just about to head off to study in Europe for a few years and am
    taking my laptop with me.

    I want to be able to make cheap phone calls to Australia and also for
    my parents to call me cheaply.

    I also want to be able to make cheap phone calls within Europe whilst I
    am there.

    Is Skype the best answer for me and for my parents?

    If I get Skype then do they also need to get it or can they call me
    from their POTS on my laptop and pay internet-level rates?

    If I get Skype then is the sound quality the same with a USB telephone
    as with a headset?

    Which headsets are the best quality?

    Which USB telephones are the best quality?

    Thanks for the help!

    Ura, Jan 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Ura

    Brian A Guest

    As far as simplicity is concerned Skype works well but you do have to
    have a computer switched on at both ends. Further, the video works
    well but how well over a long distance I don't know. Skype is OK for
    casual contacts and where the people concerned have little technical
    You have to look at what facilities you will have access to in Europe.
    If you are to be at Uni for example, and relying on their internet
    connection, then you might get firewall problems. If that is the case
    then you may have little choice but to use Skype.
    If you can independently control your Internet conection then I'd go
    for a proper voip system and buy an ATA.
    Personally, I think that having to have a computer switched on at
    both ends is a disadvantage. If you could set your parents up with an
    ATA and then take one with you to Europe then I think that would work
    well. If you both have ATAs then you can call for free between them -
    just choose a reliable company.
    I call my cousin in OZ via voip and it is good.
    Alternatively, you might choose to have an ATA at your end and make
    calls to landlines. Setting the dial plan appropriately will allow you
    to use more than one company. You don't have to ring out with the same
    company you use for receiving calls (providing you choose an ATA which
    allows appropriate programming - Sipura for example)
    If you choose a UK operator and your parents are in th eUK then
    calling you will be the same as a UK call - they could use landline
    LCR 1899 to call you at 3p/call.
    Not all voip operators do incoming lines.

    For UK voip operators check out:-

    also, international, (but credit expires so read small print):- (currently FREE calls to OZ)

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jan 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Ura

    paul123 Guest

    I agree that this is probably the first choice solution. Apart from the
    2 ATAs to be bought, you will also need a router at each end and a
    spare telephone handset for each ATA. Once you have the hardware, there
    are no extra costs involved for voip to voip calls, and you don't need
    to have your computer switched on to make or receive calls.
    paul123, Jan 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.