    in advance and if it is in arrears is there an advance payment option, i.e.
    PAYG

    Thanks

    Anthony Thornton, Nov 12, 2006

  2. Anthony Thornton

    ACDeag Guest

    Anthony Thornton explained :
    Have you looked at www.voip.co.uk cheaper than Vonage, depends whether
    you want inclusive daytime calls.

    ACDeag, Nov 12, 2006

  3. Arrrears, you register a credit card with your account. Don't think there is
    an advance payment option.

    --
    John Blessing

    businesses
    for your meeting/class over the web.
    http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook, find/replace,
    send newsletters

    John Blessing, Nov 12, 2006
  4. Anthony Thornton

    M.Dexter Guest

    No paid in arrears but if it is mainly international calls you are
    making why not go for sip discount or one of the other offering from
    the same group.

    M.Dexter, Nov 12, 2006
  5. I looked at voip.co.uk but I don't really understand how to set it up. The
    Vonage web site is easier to understand for a newbie like myself. I don't
    have a router but an NTL 250 modem connected to the Ethernet port.
    Information from both Vonage and NTL says that all I do is whack a router
    between the modem and my Ethernet port, plug in a regular telephone and go.
    The other consideration is start up costs: With Vonage it's £37 which
    includes the Motorola router.

    Anthony Thornton, Nov 12, 2006
  6. Anthony Thornton

    M.Dexter Guest

    Plus of course the 7.99 delivery charge on top and a further 7.00 to
    return it by RM recorded Delivery if you leave before 12 months are
    up, I am not having a go at Vonage far from it just the opposite in
    fact mainly pointing out the costs which they don't tell you about .

    M.Dexter, Nov 12, 2006
  7. Anthony Thornton

    Polly Guest

    Whether www.voip.co.uk is cheaper or not depends on the customer's
    profile of calling. There are other considerations too, like whether
    the customer wants a straightforward "plug in and go" or likes to play
    with lots of adapter settings.

    If your name is "Ivor" then undoubtedly Sipgate is the only viable
    option. If your name is "Dexter" then Vonage comes out on top. You
    cannot simply make a blanket statement suggesting one or other without
    knowing more.

    Polly, Nov 13, 2006
  8. Anthony Thornton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Please don't put words into my mouth, I have never said that. I use
    Sipgate, true; I recommend them, again true. I also use other systems,
    notably Gradwell and FWD, so Sipgate are by no means my only option.
    However, due to their pricing and practice of locking equipment, it is
    also true I wouldn't use Vonage. However if it works for you, who am I to
    stop you..?!
    Indeed.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 13, 2006
  9. Anthony Thornton

    Brian A Guest

    A mention was made about voip.co.uk earlier in this thread. I do
    recognise that one of THE main selling points of Vonage is that it is,
    apparently, plug and play. People also look at the apparently smaller,
    initial cash layout - though Dexter has pointed out that it isn't as
    small as it seems.
    Am I not right though that most of the 'main' UK players sell ATAs
    ready configured for their service if you buy from them, but with the
    advantage that the ATAs are not locked ?
    By the 'main' players, with no 'line rental', I am referring to
    voip.co.uk, voiptalk.org and voipfone.co.uk.
    Presumably, if you buy from one of these VSPs the only problem you
    might encounter is that you may have to forward ports in your router,
    or set up DMZ. Further, I think al these VSPs would offer some email
    support to get you up and running. If you are totally non-tech then,
    yes, go for Vonage but you will pay more in the long run unless you
    make heavy use of your phone. Further, I am well aware that there are
    many people who really don't care too much at all about their on-going
    expenditure so Vonage, for them, is the best to go for.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 13, 2006
  10. Anthony Thornton

    ACDeag Guest

    Anthony Thornton laid this down on his screen :
    You do not have to set it up, the box they send you is already
    configured, you just plug it into your modem, plug your router into the
    voip box and plug a phone into the voip box. Support is very good as
    well.

    With Vonage remember that supoport is in the US, some departments are
    only available 1pm-11pm our time.

    ACDeag, Nov 13, 2006
  11. Anthony Thornton

    ACDeag Guest

    Brian A has brought this to us :
    With voip.co.uk the adaptor sits between the cable modem and the router
    so there are no DMZ or port forwarding issues.

    ACDeag, Nov 13, 2006
  12. Anthony Thornton

    M.Dexter Guest

    Mind don't my PAP2 is pluged into a port on the router so is the
    vonage ATA I have no issus with making or receiving calls and nither
    is DMZ employed this is used for our mail server .

    M.Dexter, Nov 13, 2006
  13. Anthony Thornton

    alexd Guest

    ....if you're using cable, that is. In most cases with DSL, the modem is
    built into the router, so some level of reconfiguration may be necessary. I
    imagine some ATAs can reconfigure your router using UPnP, but whether or
    not they should be trusted to is another matter!

    alexd, Nov 13, 2006
  14. Anthony Thornton

    Herman Guest

    Support has never been an issue for me!

    Herman, Nov 13, 2006
  15. Anthony Thornton

    Herman Guest

    Agreed you need to be careful of the costs. When I joined, I seem to
    remember there was even a £25 disconnection fee! If you want an out of the
    box medium cost solution though, I would go for Vonage. Tech support is
    very good (especially in comparison with NTL), and provided your broadband
    connection is reliable, the service is MUCH BETTER than NTL, and cheaper to
    boot. You can get cheaper solutions but it depends on what you want.

    Vonage don't do number portability, but then if your number was originally
    an NTL number, you will not be able to port it out to VoIP in any case.

    If you don't want to replace your landline completely, then you may want to
    consider a different VoIP operator, as you are then free to choose the
    equipment, which could have PSTN pass through. Ditto if you want the
    freedom to move operators or use multiple operators in the future.

    Herman, Nov 13, 2006
  16. Anthony Thornton

    Paul Cupis Guest

    There is nothing special about NTL numbers. VoIP operators can port
    these numbers to themselves, as long as they (or their supplier) has a
    porting arrangement with NTL.

    Paul Cupis, Nov 14, 2006
  17. Anthony Thornton

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    What did Vonage say when you asked them this question?

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 14, 2006
  18. Anthony Thornton

    Herman Guest

    And that's the problem - at the moment they are not obliged to by Ofcom. As
    at 2 months ago, all the companies I tried could not do it (but could for
    local BT numbers).

    Herman, Nov 14, 2006
  19. Anthony Thornton

    Paul Cupis Guest

    No operator is obliged to port-in, that is correct. NTL are required to
    port-out, though.

    It comes down to whether the VoIP operator (or their provider) wants to
    put the effort into setting up a porting agreement with NTL.

    Paul Cupis, Nov 14, 2006
  20. Anthony Thornton

    Herman Guest

    To put it another way: do you or does anyone else know of any VoIP operators
    where there is such an agreement?

    If there are none then I guess it doesn't matter what the reason is. If
    there are some then I suspect there are some people on this will be
    interested.

    Herman, Nov 14, 2006