question about switching from WEP to WAP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Carol, Nov 28, 2007.

  1. Carol

    Carol Guest

    I've got the MS MN-700 802.11g router and I have three wireless laptops as
    well as my Dash mobile phone. I know that at least one of my older laptops
    is 802.11b and the other two are 802.11g compatible. I don't know about the
    Dash. I also have a USB wireless adapter that came with the router, as well
    as a second USB adapter that came with the earlier MN-500, which is 802.11b.
    So I do need to be able to support both 802.11b/g

    I currently have WEP 128 bit set as well as mac filtering, since I know how
    unsecured WEP is. I also do not display my ssid. I'm in a strictly
    residential neighborhood several blocks off the main road. How important is
    it that I consider stitching to WAP? Will that support all my older wireless
    devices? Am I looking for a bigger headache than I need. Other than just
    logging into my router and switching the security, setting the new key and
    changing the key on all my wireless devices, is there anything else I need
    to know? One of my biggest concerns is that, entering the key on my laptops
    wasn't easy. There wasn't enough space to enter the 26 characters as it was.
    Am I going to be able to enter the new key? How long will the new key be?

    Thanks for any suggestions or links that might help.
    Carol

    Carol, Nov 28, 2007

  2. Carol

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Keppy, not broadcasting the SSID will not deter someone determined
    to break into your network. the MN-700's performance using WPA was
    too slow to receive WiFi certification. I believe you know this.

    If it were ME, I'd get a new router that supports WPA2, get a new
    and faster pccard for the b only laptop and get rid of the USB
    adapter as well. Can't tell you much about the Dash mobile phone
    other than what I found on Google, but it seems to support WPA2.

    Bottom line, using WEP is like leaving the key to your front door in
    the lock. YOU need to decide if you want to take the risk. If you
    want some help in deciding on new equipment, contact me offline (I
    think you still have my email).

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 28, 2007

  3. You operate WPA about the same way. From the user's perspective there isn't
    really any difference. If the key is too much trouble to type then paste it
    into a text file and then you can copy paste from the text file into the
    configuration. Just don't leave the text file somewhere it can be gotten
    to.

    Keep in mind that the usuable range for the wireless LAN is only about 300
    feet from the WAP. However performance after 150 feet may get pretty sad.
    For longer distance it would take someone with a high db gain
    antenna,..probably custom built. You would have to be a big juicy target
    for anyone to waste that much time on you.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Nov 28, 2007
  4. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Hi Barb,
    Yea, I knew there was a reason we didn't use WAP with this router but I
    couldn't remember what it was. I set up MAC filtering because I was using
    WEP instead. It's been so long since I set up a home network and it was such
    a pain getting everything working together, I've been afraid to switch. All
    my computers have software firewall enabled and I don't think I'm in a
    location where I have to bee too concerned; but still, I'd feel better
    knowing I had some security I feel more comfortable with. I really only need
    the router, one USB wireless device for a desktop and the WiFi card for the
    P4 laptop, I'm just so afraid of the process of switching over.

    Can I switch one computer at a time? Connect the USB device to the one
    desktop and set up the router while this network is still working, then
    connect the other laptops and desktop to the new network; Remove the current
    network after everything is working?

    Once I decide to make the change I will send you an email and get your
    advice on components. Thanks, Carol

    Carol, Nov 29, 2007
  5. Carol

    Barb Bowman Guest

    you can't have two routers connected to your ISP at the same time,
    but we can make it pretty painless if you select the right
    equipment. If the desktop that uses USB wireless also has an
    Ethernet port, you would be better off with something like a
    DGL-3420 that will bridge Ethernet to wireless and give you better
    throughput.

    What OS is each machine running and what NIC/wireless specifically
    does each have?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 29, 2007
  6. Carol

    Carol Guest

    One desktop has an ethernet card and is connected to the router directly. I
    think the other one, the one I have the USB device connected to, may also
    have an ethernet card. All my computers are using XP Pro. All my laptops
    have built in wireless devices; this Toshiba has an Intel a/b/g, my Dell
    laptop has an Intel b/g card and my older Toshiba has an Atheros
    AR5001x+wireless device, which I believe is an a/b device. They all have
    ethernet cards too.

    The two desktops are in my home office, the laptops are in three different
    rooms and the router is in the living room, about 60 feet from the wired
    desktop. One laptop, the Dell, is about 150 feet away and in a hard for
    signal to get to(mirror and tiled walls) so the router is next to a window
    facing my backyard and the Dell is near the window in the back room. I have
    another room that is difficult to get a signal too, also at the far end and
    also with difficult walls partially blocking signal AND my phone system is
    2.4 GH with 6 wireless devices around the house.

    So you see, I feel pretty fortunate that everything works now :)

    Carol, Nov 29, 2007
  7. Carol

    Barb Bowman Guest

    OK... think about this:

    Replace MN700 with D-Link DGL-4500 router. Set it to 802.11N/A 5GHz
    mode only (bye bye 2.4 interference forever)

    Get a D-Link DAP-1555 and run in access point client mode - in
    802.11 N/A mode (5GHz). It has ports on the back so you would
    connect both desktops to it via Ethernet and the 1555 would connect
    wirelessly to the router.

    Toshiba with a/b/g would connect with 802.11a

    Dell Laptop would need a different pc card. The one to get is the
    Linksys WPC600N Ultra RangePlus Dual-Band Wireless-N PC Card-you'd
    be giving the Dell the extra range so this MIGHT solve the 150 foot
    issue.

    The older Toshiba with the a/b device would connect with the "a"
    side at 5GHz - check on this one to see if the drivers support WPA2.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 29, 2007
  8. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Any chance the 4300 will work as well, for less than 1/2 the price :)
    How about the USB wireless MS device, does it have the capability to connect
    via 802.11a with WAP2? That would save me buying the DAP1555?

    Right now I can't find any place that is selling the 4500 except dlink, and
    I can't find the DAP 1555 anywhere.

    One desktop is hard wired to the router in the living room, as is the cable
    modem and doesn't need to be connected wireless. It's only the one desktop
    that needs the wireless adapter.

    What's the benefit of 802.11a vs g, other than range? Does that have
    anything to do with the ability to use 5GH, which I like a lot.

    The DGL 4500 is about $250 and the Linksys WPC600N is about $110.

    I'm trying to find info about the Atheros card and I only found that it is
    a/g/b compatible and I think I got the computer in Dec of 2002, maybe a few
    months later. I can't find any information on the MS USB device that I got
    with my MN-700 (I also have the one that came with the MN-500)

    *** This is so scary. I'm one of those people that knows "if it can go
    wrong, it will". ***

    Carol, Nov 29, 2007
  9. Carol

    Barb Bowman Guest

    The 4300 doesn't have Draft N or "a". I suggested "a" because it
    uses the 5 GHz band and will get you away from the cordless phone
    interference with 2.4GHz PLUS by getting that Linksys N dual band
    card, you would hopefully solve the 150 foot issue.

    So, you could get a DGL-3420 (plug ethernet into it) for the other
    desktop (cheaper) - it will do A but not NA. Better than USB.

    so yes, the 4500 has the 5GHz n/a mode while the 4300 does not.

    my local Best Buy has the 4500
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...-4500&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1188561003287

    and Circuit City lists it too
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&searchType=user&keyword=dgl-4500&searchSection=All

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 29, 2007
  10. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Let me see what I can find and I'll get back to you.
    Thanks so much for your help Barb. I'm sure I"m going to be back here once I
    get all the hardware.
    Carol

    Carol, Nov 30, 2007
  11. Carol