    partition is entirely data)

    The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
    Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.

    Donchano, Mar 1, 2013

  2. Donchano

    Dave Doe Guest

    Dunno, but that's good compression! :)

    Dave Doe, Mar 1, 2013

  3. Donchano

    Dave Doe Guest

    Perhaps you should "mount" the image and check that everything's there
    (???).

    Dave Doe, Mar 1, 2013
  4. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    Thanks Dave & Tony - You're both right. None of the files were valid.

    Recap: I tried backing up a disk image using a paid version of Handy
    Backup Pro and, when that didn't work (caused BSOD multiple times) a
    paid version of EasyUS Todo Backup (also BSOD). Then I tried a Macrium
    Free and that simply froze.

    Working my way through different scenarios, I finally tried closing
    Handy Backup (otherwise it runs in the background) and running Macrium
    again.

    BINGO! The backup file was nearly 31GB. The suffix or extension is
    *.mrimg and can only be opened using Macrium - mrimg stands for a
    Master Compiler Profile file. But I'm hoping that this shouldn't be a
    problem as I've made the Macrium boot disk and have a copy on the same
    portable USB drive as the disk image.

    Donchano, Mar 2, 2013
  5. Donchano

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I suggest you look out an old HDD and try restoring your image onto it and
    check if it works.

    That's what I did when I first started making and archiving full disk (well,
    boot partition) images with Acronis True Image. I can take an image and
    'restore' it to any disk and have it boot as if it were the original. Sweet!

    Oh, TI images seem to be around 60% the size of the original data on disc.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Mar 2, 2013
  6. Donchano

    Gordon Guest

    YES! A backup is worth is only sweet SFA unless it can be restored. Can
    yours gentle reader?

    Test your lastest backup, at random times. Any failure should have you wide
    awake all night.

    Gordon, Mar 3, 2013
  7. Donchano

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I couldn't agree more. I test mine often. As I tend to patition a HDD with a
    genrous amount for the OS and programmes, then the rest for data I almost
    always have an old HDD kicking around (for when upgrades have been done)
    that is big enough so that the backed-up OS partition will fit.

    It's only the work of a few minutes to swap the drives around, carefully put
    the good one safe and restore your backup to the spare drive. (I boot TI
    from a CD and have the image on a USB external. Note, if you're going to use
    a USB stick [if your partition backup is small enough] be sure to set your
    software to slice the backup into bits that FAT32 wil allow. TI defaults to
    2GB.) As you say, if the backup doesn't work then there's no point blindly
    going on making more of them. ;)

    ~misfit~, Mar 3, 2013
  8. Donchano

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Millions of dollars down the hole...
    ftp://ftp.ca.com/caproducts/downloads/AXNBAS/netware/GA/QO87332/readme_Engl
    ish.html#published_fixes

    Dave Taylor, Mar 6, 2013