    related jobs? are there many such ads placed in
    newspapers? How does .NET stack up against Java in terms
    of market demand?

    Will, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Dhaval Kapasi, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Will

    Will Guest

    Thanks, dhaval.
    But my question is still not answered.
    For one thing the article gave no statistics on the job
    market; and then it written from India's local perspective.

    How about the job demand in US/CAN/UK/EUC/Aus/NZ etc? any
    one seen any analysis on this?

    Many of my Java-friends say that J2EE still rules today
    (in terms of salary & demand), but .NET *might* gain an
    edge in a few years, any comment on such remarks?

    Will, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Will

    Lorne Smith Guest

    I think your best bet is to look at some of the various job sites for these
    locations and see where most of the vacancies lie...

    As what did you expect your Java friends to say :) My Powerbuilder friends
    say the same, and there are hardly ANY jobs for that around in the UK!! :)

    Lorne

    Lorne Smith, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Will

    Eric Guest

    Go to ComputerJobs.com and do some searches.

    I found 20 jobs in Atlanta for C#, and 4 for VB.NET. The pay is higher
    for C#, and the jobs are generally higher level jobs.

    Eric

    Eric, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Will

    Dave Girvitz Guest

    As an independant contractor, I do have some insights in my local market.

    ..Net is slowly gaining on Java. About a year ago, nobody was doing .Net,
    now I'm seeing many postings. It appears that we are now at the stage where
    companies are going past the initial design stages and are now doing
    implementations. This is varying from location to location. My city,
    Calgary, is jumping on the .Net bandwagon. Edmonton, about 400 Km north of
    here, is largely Java.

    Many of my Java friends are now starting to say good things about .Net. They
    are finding that the .Net framework does offer significant advantages over
    Java on all levels. Remember the early days when they said that .Net was
    for forms applications, but the server side was a Java preserve. This has
    now been largely disproven. With web services being so easy to implement in
    ..Net and remoting being light years ahead of RPC, there just isn't any
    comparison. Along with the greater emphasis on unit testing and other
    measures, we are finding that projects are being completed faster and with
    fewer bugs.

    I personally believe that .Net 1 and 1.1 will become increasingly popular
    over the next couple of years. .Net 2, however, is shaping up to be a bit
    of different story. Although I am excited about some of the features
    coming, I do have some concerns. It appears that version 2 will be tightly
    tied to their new file system (winFs). My initial guess is that, for this
    reason, it will not offer backwards compatibility (in order to use the .Net
    2 preview, you also have to install some sort of interface that creates some
    sort of winFs shell). I am also concerned that the new file system is going
    to be based on SQL-Server in some way. MS will have to address the obvious
    concern here: how will servers/users be protected from another slammer like
    virus attack. Remember, that in this context, a slammer clone will not
    disrupt a database application, but will result in crashing the entire file
    system. For this reason (plus the other obvious forced OS upgrade issue),
    I think that the new version of Windows (and thus .Net 2) will be very slow
    in being adopted. In addition, .Net 2 is not scheduled for public release
    until 2006. I suspect that it will not become common until 2009-2010.

    Thus, learning .Net 1/1.1 now, you should be working with a relatively
    stable environment for a number of years. In addition, with its gaining
    popularity, it will have some good job prospects. One other advantage: .Net
    is not generally taught in the universities while Java is. Net result,
    every university grad knows Java, while the knowledge pool of .Net is
    considerably less.

    Anyway, that's my rant for today. Hope it helps.
    Dave Girvitz, MCAD.

    Dave Girvitz, Dec 7, 2003
  7. Will

    Humanity Guest

    Thanks, Dave! An insightful post :)

    Humanity, Dec 7, 2003
  8. Will

    Dave Girvitz Guest

    Thanks. Looking over it, I realize that I made 2 mistakes. When I said RPC,
    I meant RMI (remote method identification). When I said .Net 2, I meant .Net
    3 (I was rechecking the technology roadmap). Just goes to show that I
    shouldn't mouth off without thinking about what I'm saying.
    Dave

    Dave Girvitz, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Will

    Will Guest

    Thanks Dave,

    your reply is most insightful!
    Esp. the remark on Univs teaching java giving .net guys in
    the trenches an advantage :)
    I'd been worrying that corps would go for java due to its
    common coverage in textbooks. In retrospect, Pascal was
    also in vogue back in the 80s but never really caught on
    in large scale commercial apps. (Delphi is still a
    sidekick, IMHO)

    Will, Dec 10, 2003
  10. Will

    Mas Jabier Guest