    Frankly I see no reason why it wouldn't work, but I want to ask before
    I buy the Gb. NIC for my Server.
    Your answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    novice03, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Uplink in Cisco terms is just a suggested use for the thing.
    Its pretty much the same as the other ports, just that you most likely
    would use it as the uplink into your backbone.
    Why would you have to use a cross-over cable? Why wouldn't it work?

    Doug McIntyre, Jan 30, 2005

  3. novice03

    Gary Guest

    Will work fine. The GIG links are just 10/100/100 as opposed to 10/100.

    Gary

    Gary, Jan 30, 2005
  4. novice03

    anybody43 Guest

    I agree that in this case "uplink" is most likely a suggested
    use. This however is not always the case for Cisco. In general terms
    the capacities of ports does vary and it is as well to be sure that
    there
    are no restrictions on using a particular port for a particular
    purpose. For
    example some 6500 cards have more memory attached to ports than
    other cards provide.

    About the worst case is that when dual Supervisor Engines are used, in
    some cases only some of the 'uplink' ports work.

    As has already been said, no problems in this case but
    it is as well to consider the matter.

    anybody43, Jan 31, 2005
  5. novice03

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Depending on your model, you cannot use *all* your GigE ports.
    Sometimes, you can use two SFP *or* two Copper ports (combination there
    of). So for instance, you can't use all four at the same time.
    Depends on the model.
    sounds reasonable.
    No need for cross-over cables in GigE world. They auto detect
    MDI/MDI-X by themselves. Also, note that for copper GigE operation,
    auto-negotiation is *mandatory*.

    Buy a decent GigE card. Also, make sure your server won't choke
    dealing with the added traffic. I'm surprised your server doesn't come
    w/ a GigE port already.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jan 31, 2005
  6. IIRC, the Cisco copper GBICs WS-G5483 don't do auto MDI/MDI-X, we've
    had to make cross-over cables for them when we've needed to. Of
    course, alot of store bought cross-over cables only do two pairs
    crossed. Sigh.

    Anything that is built in, like a 10/100/1000 port does do the auto
    MDI/MDI-X detection on the Cisco gear.

    Doug McIntyre, Jan 31, 2005