    I was wondering about what ISO could be at "Auto" setting.
    My impression is that "auto" setting is the same or equivalent to ISO 100.
    Am I wrong? Craig

    Satoshi, Jul 9, 2005

  2. Look at the EXIF information in the JPEG files produced by your camera -
    it should tell you what ISO was used. I use PIE for this (and renaming
    files etc.) but there are free programs which do this as well.

    http://www.picmeta.com/

    Most likely, the Auto setting will use the minimum ISO when the light
    level is good enough, and a higher ISO as conditions darken.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 9, 2005

  3. Satoshi

    CeeBee Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
    wrote in rec.photo.digital:

    Mostly right clicking on the file and choosing properties (the
    second tab) will show it as well - if working under Windows.

    CeeBee, Jul 9, 2005
  4. Satoshi

    dylan Guest

    It probably uses an ISO setting based on the lighting conditions, if the
    light is good you are probably correct at 100ISO, or possibly lower if it
    has 50 ISO etc, and in low light it will probably choose a higher ISO eg
    400.

    dylan, Jul 9, 2005
  5. Well, if working with XP at least. Not everyone uses that OS.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 9, 2005
  6. Satoshi

    CeeBee Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-

    In that case PIE isn't much help either, as it's Windows only :)

    CeeBee, Jul 9, 2005
  7. Satoshi

    Satoshi Guest

    I am using XP-SP2.
    I tried several jpeg files. No clue on EXIF.

    Craig

    "David J Taylor"

    Satoshi, Jul 9, 2005
  8. Satoshi

    ASAAR Guest

    Many people use IrfanView as their image viewer because it's fast,
    small, has a reasonable number of features (including batch file
    processing) and it's free. From the menu, select Image ->
    Information and then click on the EXIF Info. button. Most cameras
    store the ISO values used, although some cameras may name it
    differently. Many cameras also have the ability to show the ISO
    used as well as other exposure information on the LCD, usually by
    pressing a Display button or something similar while viewing the
    pictures.

    ASAAR, Jul 9, 2005
  9. But it works under Windows 2000 and 9X. I'm surprised no-one has yet
    mentioned the other free software.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 9, 2005
  10. Right-click a JPEG, select Properties.
    Click on the Summary tab.
    Press Advanced.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 9, 2005
  11. Satoshi

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    'Auto' means 'choose an ISO value every time I take a picture.' It could
    be any value, depending on conditions. If you want ISO 100, set the
    camera to that, instead.

    Paul Mitchum, Jul 9, 2005
  12. Satoshi

    Satoshi Guest

    I routinely use IrfanView. I saw EXIF box in the IfranView.
    When clicked, it prompted "Can't load PlugIN: EXIF.dll. Please download
    PlugIns from IrfanView home page".
    I will do that.
    Thanks for the information.

    Craig

    Satoshi, Jul 9, 2005
  13. Satoshi

    Satoshi Guest

    David,

    I got it. I see the list of ISO speed.
    Many thanks.

    Craig

    "David J Taylor"

    Satoshi, Jul 9, 2005
  14. Satoshi

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    Isn't that information in the manual that came with your camera?

    Shawn Hirn, Jul 11, 2005
  15. You don't want to have people actually learn something to take a decent
    picture, do you? It's like everything else in the world...dumb it down
    for the lowest common denominator.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 12, 2005
  16. Satoshi

    A.P. Guest

    I find that question rather reasonable.
    Todays manuals are stupid! Like if they are writen by & for retards!
    They just says :
    " If you set ISO to AUTO ,the cam will select ISO for you " :O))

    My Oly E300 has a ISO range 100-1600 , when i tested ISO AUTO
    it sticked to ISO 100 "always" :-( (in AUTO MODE)

    Later i discoverd that in order to take advantage of the ISO range in
    'ISO AUTO' i had use Action Modes like 'SPORT MODE'

    AP

    A.P., Jul 12, 2005