    I've tried to open the file in Word, but now it still giving me the same
    error message. What happened?

    Thanks,

    JC, Jul 12, 2006

  2. JC

    SgtMinor Guest

    The diskette may have become corrupted. See if PCInspector
    (freeware) can read it
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

    SgtMinor, Jul 12, 2006

  3. JC

    JC Guest

    Thanks, I will try it out.
    What would cause a disk to become corrupt? Is it because I used a public PC
    (at the library)? It was an old disk-maybe 4 yrs-but that can't be the
    reason, right?

    --------------

    JC, Jul 12, 2006
  4. JC

    Rick Merrill Guest

    in the future format the disk (the long way) on the system where you
    want to read it, then have it written on the other system and be sure
    to close the writing program before removing the 3.5" disk.

    RM

    Rick Merrill, Jul 12, 2006
  5. JC

    KGregory Guest

    That probably is most of the reason. Especially if you've been writing to it
    all that time.

    KGregory, Jul 12, 2006
  6. JC

    John Holmes Guest

    Rick Merrill "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

    You're so stupid, you told everyone that you were "illegitimate" because
    you couldn't read.

    John Holmes, Jul 12, 2006
  7. JC

    SgtMinor Guest

    The media on floppies deteriorates over time, especially if the
    diskette is kept in a hot or dusty place, or near electromagnetic
    devices. More here:
    http://www.uea.ac.uk/itcs/helpdesk/helpsheets/floppy-disk.pdf

    If you can't get the file opened on your system, try taking it
    back to the machine in the library, and then saving it on a
    freshly formatted diskette, or better yet, a memory stick.

    Good luck.

    SgtMinor, Jul 12, 2006
  8. JC

    Dan Evans Guest

    Almost certainly the floppy drive you saved the file to with had it's
    read/write heads out of alignment. Also possible, *your* floppys heads are
    out of alignment. Last possibility, the disk is shagged.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 12, 2006
  9. JC

    dadiOH Guest

    Floppy drives nowadays are pretty junky. In your case, the head of one of
    the two drives (yours/library's) is probably a bit out of alignment. Try
    removing/re-inserting the diskette...sometimes the drive head will then
    "take". Try several times.

    If you do manage to read the diskette, copy anything you want to save onto
    the HD and completely format the diskette before trying to write data to it
    again.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jul 12, 2006
  10. JC

    Pennywise Guest

    |>Hi,
    |>I made some changes on a Word File when I was at my local library today.
    |>The file was stored on a 3.5" disk. Later on at home, when I went to email
    |>it to someone, I got a error message saying the disk was not formatted.
    |>I've tried to open the file in Word, but now it still giving me the same
    |>error message. What happened?

    This happen'd to me a lot: bring a floppy from the library and XP
    would claim it wasn't format'd.

    Most of the times I could get to the information in a CMD window.

    Start | Run <type in> CMD /K <enter>

    Type
    A: - to get to the drive
    DIR - to see if anything is there and copy it elsewhere if so.

    Might try a USB pen drive, library here has USB ports for that.

    Pennywise, Jul 12, 2006
  11. JC

    ProfGene Guest

    If you drive went bad you can try cleaning it but if the disk went bad
    nothing much can be done. You might try it on another computer and if
    you get the same message it is most likely the floppy bit the dust.

    ProfGene, Jul 13, 2006
  12. JC

    Plato Guest

    Sometimes, XP likes to use 1.44s that have been formatted by XP.

    Plato, Jul 14, 2006