Queries on Remoting and .NET tools (70-320-related)

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by ShaneB, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. ShaneB

    ShaneB Guest

    Two questions (moans) for anyone working with Microsoft's
    distributed-application architecture or slogging their way
    through reference for the 70-20 exam.

    First, is .NET Remoting really worth all that complexity?
    I mean, half the time you have to give the client the
    actual application assembly. From what I've read, you can
    get round this by sending out metadata assemblies or
    interface-only assemblies to clients. But again, it's even
    more work and you have to distribute these watered-down
    versions to the client. Am I missing something or is that
    as good as it gets?

    Second, web services seem far more accessible but I'm
    confused--you use a tool called wsdl.exe to generate the
    proxy. But what does this tool do differently than the
    Soapsuds utility, which also generates metadata for
    proxies?

    Thanks in advance to anyone similarly mired in this
    material who can be bothered to address these issues,

    Shane,
    Ireland.

    ShaneB, Feb 6, 2004

  2. ShaneB

    Ryan Walberg Guest

    By remoting, you can have the remote object on one "application server"
    and all the clients call it. Thus, the business processing is performed
    on one server, and the clients can be weak.
    IIRC, wsdl.exe creates proxies for web services and soapsuds.exe creates
    proxies for remoting.

    Ryan Walberg, Feb 6, 2004