Queries from Chrome browser and other browsers plug-ins

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by S Claus, Jun 7, 2009.

  1. S Claus

    S Claus Guest

    A posting from another site that made me think about how Chrome users
    probably unwittingly are helping Google to index the web...

    (source: http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000267.html)

    <snip>
    Over on IRC, I made a casual reference to a URL.
    http://www.sidhe.org/backgrounds/gif_for_folks_who_link_unasked.gif
    specifically. It's a GIF I swap in for the real image when I find
    folks linking to images in the background collection. (For the record,
    it's the background image from the nifty.org archive of gay/lesbian/bi
    fiction (though work-safe) and has the twin advantages of being very
    light (so it tends to obscure white text) and subtly subversive, while
    still being tasteful)

    It's not that I care that people look at the backgrounds, nor that
    they grab them for their own use. I found them ages ago in a free
    collection of web graphics and threw them up there myself for my own
    use, and I'm certainly not going to complain when other folks grab
    them and use them--go for it and good luck. I'd just rather you use
    the copy on your server, not mine. :)

    Anyway, I made an offhand comment on IRC with the URL for the real
    image (I hardlink it on the server, rather than playing Apache
    redirect games) and three minutes later... Pow! There was googlebot,
    looking at it. Turns out that one of the folks on the channel'd looked
    at it, and they run Opera with the google stuff on it so presumably
    that's how google got the URL. I will admit to being very impressed
    with the speed that the crawler struck out with (and it was the
    crawler, at least according to the log data and the PTR record for the
    IP address) but still...
    </snip>

    S Claus, Jun 7, 2009