Quandary - DX or FX?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nige Danton, Apr 10, 2013.

  1. Nige Danton

    me Guest

    On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:56:09 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-04-17 16:43:14 -0700, me <> said:

    >> In the D200/D300 which I own you can set a max iso and min shutter
    >> speed.Shhot aperture priority and you also have control of that within
    >> all the defined limits. Lower level Nikons may not implement this the
    >> same way and Canon does not follow this full implementation either.

    >Same for my D300S.
    >In the above screen shot of page #103 section #3, of the D7000 manual,
    >you will see that the D7000 does just that.
    >As far as how Canon goes about this, I do not know.
    >
    >My old D70 goes about Auto ISO in a very different way when combined
    >with "P", "A", or "DVP" modes.

    D200 is limited to a min 1/250th shutter speed in autoiso. D300 was
    too initially. I know I left requests to allow shorter on the Nikon
    Tech Support forum and in the 1.1 firmware release this was changed to
    allow much faster speeds to be set.

    me, Apr 18, 2013

  2. Nige Danton

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/17/2013 7:43 PM, me wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:17:37 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:

    >>> Most Nikon DSLRs do, and most importantly with regard to this particular
    >>> discussion the D7000 mentioned above does:
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_197.jpg >
    >>>

    >> True, but minimum shutter speeds can limit its usefulness.

    > In the D200/D300 which I own you can set a max iso and min shutter
    > speed.Shhot aperture priority and you also have control of that within
    > all the defined limits. Lower level Nikons may not implement this the
    > same way and Canon does not follow this full implementation either.

    Which was my point. That when you can set exactly the correct aperture
    and shutter speed for the shot, your exposure is corrected through auto
    ISO. If the range of the variables is narrowed, the usefulness of
    auto-ISO decreases.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 18, 2013

  3. Nige Danton

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/18/2013 5:08 AM, me wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:56:09 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2013-04-17 16:43:14 -0700, me <> said:

    >>> In the D200/D300 which I own you can set a max iso and min shutter
    >>> speed.Shhot aperture priority and you also have control of that within
    >>> all the defined limits. Lower level Nikons may not implement this the
    >>> same way and Canon does not follow this full implementation either.

    >> Same for my D300S.
    >> In the above screen shot of page #103 section #3, of the D7000 manual,
    >> you will see that the D7000 does just that.
    >> As far as how Canon goes about this, I do not know.
    >>
    >> My old D70 goes about Auto ISO in a very different way when combined
    >> with "P", "A", or "DVP" modes.

    > D200 is limited to a min 1/250th shutter speed in autoiso. D300 was
    > too initially. I know I left requests to allow shorter on the Nikon
    > Tech Support forum and in the 1.1 firmware release this was changed to
    > allow much faster speeds to be set.

    There is also a practical limit in noise level at a higher ISO. My D200
    ws quite noisy above 800. My D300 produced usable images at 1600-2000,
    although there was some noise. Though with today's noise reduction
    software, my guess is that the limits may be higher.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 18, 2013
  4. Nige Danton

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/18/2013 2:23 AM, Trevor wrote:
    > "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    >> On 4/10/2013 9:08 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >>> A DX camera can be advantageous for event photography (where you may be
    >>> trying
    >>> to capture faces from across the room), because it amplifies the effect
    >>> of a
    >>> telephoto lens. But not so much for landscapes, where you may need the
    >>> wider
    >>> view of FX.

    >> One can alwyas shoot an fx in dx mode.

    > Or simply crop later in PS.

    I have been shooting with W/A DX lenses in FF, and cropping in PS.
    No decent results, yet.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 18, 2013
  5. Nige Danton

    me Guest

    On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 08:51:33 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >Which was my point. That when you can set exactly the correct aperture
    >and shutter speed for the shot, your exposure is corrected through auto
    >ISO. If the range of the variables is narrowed, the usefulness of
    >auto-ISO decreases.

    Who said one need specify an exact shutter speed? Maybe there are
    other requirements. Shoot long focal length (fl 560mm or 800mm on a
    D300), even with image stabilization, one wishes to pu a lower limit
    on the shutter speed. Especially in an environment when the lighting
    changes quite drastically and one can not manually adjust. Or action
    shots fast enough to freeze or at a minimum partially freeze motion
    and again when lighting may change quickly.

    me, Apr 18, 2013
  6. Nige Danton

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/18/2013 4:55 PM, me wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 08:51:33 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Which was my point. That when you can set exactly the correct aperture
    >> and shutter speed for the shot, your exposure is corrected through auto
    >> ISO. If the range of the variables is narrowed, the usefulness of
    >> auto-ISO decreases.

    > Who said one need specify an exact shutter speed? Maybe there are
    > other requirements. Shoot long focal length (fl 560mm or 800mm on a
    > D300), even with image stabilization, one wishes to pu a lower limit
    > on the shutter speed. Especially in an environment when the lighting
    > changes quite drastically and one can not manually adjust. Or action
    > shots fast enough to freeze or at a minimum partially freeze motion
    > and again when lighting may change quickly.

    One use for auto ISO, is shooting sports, where the maker wants freeze
    action shots, with specified DOF. As I write this I am thinking that any
    time the maker wants control over both DOF and shutter speed,, auto ISO
    is the enabling factor.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 19, 2013
  7. Nige Danton

    Trevor Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    > There is also a practical limit in noise level at a higher ISO. My D200 ws
    > quite noisy above 800. My D300 produced usable images at 1600-2000,
    > although there was some noise. Though with today's noise reduction
    > software, my guess is that the limits may be higher.

    And many new cameras allow you to set the max ISO used by auto ISO, so you
    can simply choose at what point you think noise is excessive for the camera
    being used, and not go there.

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Apr 20, 2013
  8. Nige Danton

    Trevor Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    >>> One can alwyas shoot an fx in dx mode.

    >> Or simply crop later in PS.

    > I have been shooting with W/A DX lenses in FF, and cropping in PS.

    Good for you, I can't even use my EF-S WA lens on my FF Canons!

    > No decent results, yet.

    Shooting in Dx mode isn't going to help much then either!

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Apr 20, 2013
  9. Nige Danton

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/20/2013 3:48 AM, Trevor wrote:
    > "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Or simply crop later in PS.

    >> I have been shooting with W/A DX lenses in FF, and cropping in PS.

    > Good for you, I can't even use my EF-S WA lens on my FF Canons!
    >

    >> No decent results, yet.

    > Shooting in Dx mode isn't going to help much then either!
    >
    > Trevor.

    There was nothing technically wrong with the images. Simply dull and
    uninteresting images.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 20, 2013