QoS,MPSL confusion

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by craig, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. craig

    craig Guest

    Hi,

    I have a couple of questions about the use of a service providers MPLS
    network to link two corporate sites via VPN. Please bear with me as my
    knowledge of QoS etc. is limited. I understand the basic principle of
    QoS and of MPLS but I am confused as to the possible combinations of
    the two.

    Basically, at each site there is a fairly small LAN. The proposal from
    the provider shows each site having a MPLS router (Cisco) connected to
    the LAN edge routing traffic to their network - so the MPLS labels are
    assigned at the edge of each site.

    I am a little confused about the relationship (if any) between QoS and
    MPLS. I am wondering - Does the router perform the analysis of the
    data in order to correctly assign CoS and label the packets? If so, is
    this all that is required ? I had previously thought that this worked
    by a device upstream of the edge router assigning QoS to data based on
    policies, which the MPLS router would then interpret in order to label
    the outgoing data. Again, forgive the ignorance ;-)

    TIA,

    Craig.

    craig, Oct 28, 2003

  2. craig

    Kevin Su Guest

    Yes, the ISP can do some QoS policy to your traffic flowing into their
    MPLS network. In order to get the service, you have to sign a SLA with
    your ISP. They will classify your traffic as premium one on their PE
    routers. You have to do nothing on your own router(CE).

    Kevin Su, Oct 29, 2003