    software that you think does the job better ?

    Thanks for any insights ....

    stan

    Stanley Krute, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Stanley Krute

    Steve B Guest

    The only con is that it's a little obtuse or unusual in operation, but once
    you've got the hang of it you realise it's perfect.

    Steve B, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Stanley Krute

    Bob Hatch Guest

    I have a friend who has a RIP program that's better. I think it cost him
    around $1400.00.

    As far as I'm concerned you can't beat Qimage and I've tried a couple
    others. It beats the crap out of ACDSee Photo Slate.

    Bob Hatch, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Yes, I agree it's very good, especially given its modest price. I would'nt
    call it perfect, because it is (to my own surprise) still being improved,
    driven by user input and novel idea's by the very responsive author. His
    service is a rare example of how support should be handled.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Read the step by step examples in the help file. They will get you to
    appreciate the efficient (but different) workflow. Don't think you can
    fathom all the possibilities in a single month, so concentrate on the
    basics.
    Competitive?, none that I know of.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Stanley Krute

    Me Guest

    I tried Qimage, and everything worked ok till I printed my photos, got a
    line across the page, not really a line, more like the photo was cut. Don't
    know why it did this, had updated drivers for my printer and tried several
    different prints. Printed from ps elements and paint shop pro - didnt get
    the error.. never figured it out, but I did like the program. Photos printed
    really nice. I think I will reinstall again and try it out - see if a
    reinstall will help.

    Me, Dec 2, 2003
  7. Thanks everyone for the excellent input.

    I printed out a few pages of 4x6's and 3x5's.
    Worked excellently.

    I found operation and setup to be fairly straightforward.

    I do have one question not answered in any of the
    docs; perhaps someone can help.

    To the right of my printer name, in parentheses it
    gives the numbers (720x720), as shown in this
    snippet of a screen snapshot:

    http://FreshArtDaily.com/snippets/Qimage_mystery_001.gif

    The printer is set up to print at 1440x1440, not 720x720.
    And when I print, it prints at 1440x1440.

    So: anyone know why it shows the 720x720 numbers ?

    Thanks

    Stan

    Stanley Krute, Dec 2, 2003
  8. SNIP
    I think I will reinstall again and try it out - see if a reinstall will
    help.

    Make sure you use the print spool settings as described in the help file,
    and get the most recent version. There may have been an issue that was
    solved already. If not, Mike Chaney is very pleasant to communicate with,
    and he will try to reproduce what you experienced and, if it's in his power,
    he'll fix it.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Dec 2, 2003
  9. SNIP
    Qimage communicates with the printer driver to find the optimal ppi setting
    it should create and sharpen after that, in order to avoid that the
    printerdriver resizes again.
    The printerdriver determines its optimal ppi setting based on the paper/ink
    combination, and perhaps a few other settings, then it will dither these
    pixels with finer dots to simulate more gradual tones.

    So, for the paper/ink used, the Epson will need 720x720 pixels per inch. If
    the image needs scaling, Qimage will do that automatically, based on the
    output size(s) you specified and the printer's preference. These pixels will
    be subdivided by the printer for smoother gradation.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Dec 2, 2003