Q: Voice Quality Linksys SPA-3102

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Sinna, Sep 5, 2007.

  1. Sinna

    Sinna Guest

    (For Dutch: see below)

    Hi all,

    I bought the Linksys SPA-3102 recently and I'm very satisfied with it. I
    only have a few but quite annoying 'problems' with it. This thread
    addresses the first one.

    When I call somebody using the VoIP provider, the voice quality is very
    clear. However, when I'm called by somebody else, the voice quality is
    very poor (a lot of noise on the line and the other side seems to be
    very far away).

    Any suggestions to deal with this?

    TIA,
    Sinna

    ---

    Hallo iedereen,

    I heb onlangs een Linksys SPA-3102 gekocht en ben er zeer tevreden over.
    Ik heb er echter een paar maar behoorlijk vervelende problemen mee. Deze
    draad behandelt de eerste.

    Wanneer ik iemand opbel via VoIP, dan is de spraakkwaliteit zeer helder.
    Als ik echter door iemand opgebeld wordt, dan is de kwaliteit zeer zwak
    (veel ruis op de lijn en de andere kant lijkt heel ver weg te zitten).

    Iemand suggesties hoe ik dat kan oplossen?

    Alvast bedankt,
    Sinna

    Sinna, Sep 5, 2007

  2. Sinna

    Jono Guest

    Is this problem when someone calls your VoIP number or PSTN number?

    Jono, Sep 6, 2007

  3. Sinna

    Sinna Guest

    I don't have a VoIP-in number (yet?). It's when I'm called on the PSTN
    number.

    Sinna

    Sinna, Sep 6, 2007
  4. Sinna

    Jono Guest

    Sinna formulated on Thursday :
    Right. You don't say where in the world the SPA is connected to a PSTN
    line. Is it in the Netherlands?

    What's the quality like on inbound PSTN calls? Presumably the same.

    How did you set up your device? The forum at Voxilla is worth a look.

    This post /may/ be useful (I only had a glance at it, though)
    <http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-si...onal-settings-netherlands-kpn-pstn-14318.html>

    Also, have a look at the localization wizard
    <http://voxilla.com/tools/device-configuration-wizard/linksys-spa-localization-wizard-802.html>

    Jono, Sep 6, 2007
  5. Sinna

    Sinna Guest

    No, it's in Belgium, but I also posted this message on a native Dutch
    group so I understand the possible confusion.
    I don't get you here I suppose? Do you mean if there's a difference
    between the quality with or without the gateway in between?
    This looks promising but I can't try it out for the moment. I'll have a
    look at it this weekend (hopefully).
    Also something to keep in mind for the weekend.

    Thanks!

    Sinna

    Sinna, Sep 6, 2007
  6. Sinna

    Jono Guest

    Sinna laid this down on his screen :
    You say that outbound VoIP calls the quality is fine, yet when someone
    calls you the quality is not so good. Because you don't have a VoIP in
    number, I'm presuming that anyone calling you is ringing your regular
    fixed line number.

    So, inbound calls come in on your fixed line. Am I right?

    I was merely asking here, if you call out on your regular, fixed line,
    do you suffer from the same poor quality? gw0 (gateway zero) is your
    fixed (PSTN) line, as far as the dial plan & the SPA are concerned.

    Jono, Sep 6, 2007
  7. Sinna

    Christian Guest

    What's the quality like on inbound PSTN calls?
    There is actually a *slight* degradation of quality of a PSTN-call with the
    SPA-3000 or SPA-3102 inbetween. This is because you actually go through the
    SPA's DACs and the ADCs and the necessary filters. When making a PSTN call,
    the SPA actually works as an FXO to FXS gateway, it does that digitally, not
    analogue. The only way the SPA passes trough the analog line as it is, is
    when you power it off. This degradation of quality is not huge, but
    noticable. I noticed it... but not enough to start looking for help in a
    newsgroup, so maybe another thing goes wrong with Sinna's SPA?

    Christian - die effe geen zin had om 't in 2 talen te doen :)

    Christian, Sep 7, 2007
  8. Sinna

    Ed Straker Guest

    The issue I always had was one of low volume when making or receiving
    calls via PSTN. No matter how many gain adjustments I made, as
    suggested on here or in various dedicated forums, I was never totally
    happy with the levels compared to VOIP to VOIP calls. I guess the
    above post answers the reasons why it can never be quite the same.

    I don't have the device anymore but never got the settings 'quite
    right' despite weeks of playing.

    Ed.

    Ed Straker, Sep 11, 2007
  9. Sinna

    Sinna Guest

    Oh oh...
    I've been playing yesterday evening, without success.
    If you present here the 'final' result...

    Perhaps I'll have to contact Linksys/Cisco directly.

    Sinna

    Sinna, Sep 11, 2007
  10. Sinna

    Sinna Guest

    Hi all,

    I *think* I solved it. Tested today and now I can hear the other side
    loud and clear. Sometimes they complain about losing signal but AFAIK
    that's caused by the VoIP provider.

    What I have done as I'm living in Belgium: I've changed the FXS and FXO
    Port Impedance to 270/750||150nF. This seems to solve the voice quality
    problem.

    --

    Hallo iedereen,

    Ik *denk* dat ik het probleem opgelost heb. Vandaag getest en nu kan ik
    de ander kan luid en duidelijk horen. Soms klagen ze wel van wegvallend
    signaal maar voor zover ik weet wordt dat veroorzaakt door de
    VoIP-aanbieder.

    Wat ik gedaan heb als inwoner van Belgiƫ: Ik heb de FXS en FXO Port
    Impedances gewijzigd van 600 naar 270/750||150nF. Dat lijkt het probleem
    met de spraakkwaliteit op te lossen.

    Sinna

    Sinna, Sep 11, 2007
  11. Sinna

    lgryp

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    SPA-3102 regional setting for Belgium

    Is was wondering if someone could provide me with the regional settings for a SP-3102 (or similar) ATA for usage in Belgium.

    lgryp, Mar 5, 2009