Q: Scan with web based antivirus program stops internet connectivity

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kompu Kid, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. Kompu Kid

    Kompu Kid Guest

    I am posting this on behalf of a friend who lost his internet
    connectivity after scanning his computer with Panda Software's web
    based scanner.

    She thinks the problem is not with Panda Software but rather something
    the virus(es) has done to her system.

    She says Panda software found the following:

    1- Virus:Trj/Riler.A Disinfected
    Operating system
    2- Virus:Trojan Horse No disinfected
    C:\Documents and Settings\sheila\DESKTOP\May 24, 2004.rar[May 24,
    2004.htm]
    3- Virus:Trj/Riler.A Renamed
    C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SynUSB.dll
    4- Virus:Trj/Riler.A Disinfected
    C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\WinSSi.exe

    I immediately see some questionable things above (for example, why "No
    disinfected" and "Renamed", but I am not sure if these are the things
    stopping her access.

    She needs some guidance as to what to fix.

    For example-
    -- Could it be the regedit that got screwed up?
    -- Are the networking files damaged?
    -- Is there something still lurking on the computer?

    I suggested that she check the "Hosts" file.

    By the way, she is on W2K professional.
    She connects to internet with a wireless PCMCI card. She is able to
    connect to the wireless network, has good strength, but cannot ping
    anything. Her network settings are all there correctly.

    Thanks!

    Deguza
    [Please rely to me here, I do not accept e-mails to prevent spam.]

    Kompu Kid, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Kompu Kid

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (Kompu Kid) wrote in

    A Web based AV is not the solution to get the Trojans off of the machine.
    Although a Web AV solution can detect them, they are not very good or
    cannot remove them effectively. You'll need to get a host based AV and or
    AV utilities on the machine that can do it.

    I think you can go to Norton's site which lists the types infections
    found and download the AV utility that cleans them off. The infections
    maybe part of the reason there is no access to the Internet.

    After your friend gets things cleaned-up, you should advise him to
    *harden* the Win 2K O/S to attack.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 21, 2004
  4. Kompu Kid

    Kompu Kid Guest

    Thanks for your recommendations.

    That's exactly what I told her. She purchased a firewall software and
    is in the process of installing it.

    Of course without an internet connectivity, a firewall software won't
    do her much good-:)

    Kompu Kid, Jul 21, 2004
  5. Kompu Kid

    Chuck Guest

    do a google search for and download Spybot Search and Destroy. This may
    help get rid of the trojan. Next, download AVG Free Antivirus. Its
    Free. it works well.

    Chuck, Jul 22, 2004