    My Q: What changes does Simple File Sharing make?

    tia
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Aug 30, 2006

  2. Check these out:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/en-us

    Atlas Shrugged, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Jimmy Dean

    why? Guest

    It makes it work :)

    How strange, I always make sure it's turned off and file sharing works
    fine.

    In the 1st article this is an issue, "Remote users always authenticate
    as the Guest account."
    I always disable the guest account on systems at home and it's been a
    policy at work as well for many years. This means a but more in the way
    of setup, generally I create a file sharing user account and limit the
    access to specific folders only, even as far as RO for a frolder tree /
    RW to single folders.

    Certain assumptions are made about trusting the other PCs,
    http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/desktop/windows/windowsxp/
    http://www.securiteam.com/securityreviews/6J00J2KEUE.html

    Another MS link (or 2)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=300489
    Description of the Guest account in Windows XP

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...roddocs/en-us/ua_provide_guest_account_w.mspx
    To turn the guest account on or off

    How to change settings if needed
    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Windows_XP_Your_Definitive_Lockdown_Guide.html

    Me

    why?, Aug 30, 2006
  4. Jimmy Dean

    Pennywise Guest

    Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > right click on
    simple file sharing, Left click on "What's this"

    Pennywise, Aug 31, 2006