Q on router/firewall config with pptp for clients enabled

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ronnieshih, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. ronnieshih

    ronnieshih Guest

    I have a site currently with a router directly to internet with
    access-lists and no firewall, this router is configured with PPTP for
    remote clients to vpn in. The serial interface has a public IP,
    ethernet interface has a private IP. Remote clients VPN in via the
    public IP tied to the serial interface on the router right now. I will
    be swapping out the old router with a new 1800 and put in an ASA
    firewall behind the 1800 router. My question is, how do I keep the VPN
    capability for remote clients? They want VPN on the ASA instead of
    being on the router. That means the outside interface of the ASA must
    have a public IP within their range. Do I place the IP address that's
    currently assigned to the serial interface on the router onto
    fastethernet0 and leave serial interface unnumbered? Then ASA's
    outside interface directly connected to the router's fastethernet0??
    Does the router know how to pass packets from serial to its
    fastethernet0 interface automatically?

    thanks

    ronnieshih, Jan 27, 2007