    The Page Cannot be Displayed.

    Any ideas?
    George

    George, Dec 17, 2004

  2. George

    Jay Guest

    What OS ?
    What browser ? Dialup proprietary? IE? NS? Mozilla? the macintosh one?
    What dialup-provider?

    Do you have a valid IP address? start/run/winipcfg and choose ethernet
    adaptor in Win95/98/me or start/run/cmd or command (depending on version) in
    winNT/2000/XP, type in ipconfig. check IP address. shouldnt be 169.*.*.* or
    0.0.0.0.

    in that black window (command prompt you pulled up by cmd in start/run) type
    in ' ping yahoo.com ' without the quotes - does it say reply from ... or
    request timed out? if it says timed out, you arent connected and need to
    contact your ISP for further support.

    if you get reply from, your browser may be fubar'd. may be a browser
    hijacker, may be settings required from your ISP. may be proxy or lan
    settings incorrect. may not be seeing the dialup connection if its not
    proprietary dialup browser.

    im leaning towards incorrect settings a browser hijacker.

    Peace
    Jay
    www.volted.com

    Jay, Dec 18, 2004

  3. George

    George Guest

    Jay,

    Thanks for your helpful insight. It turns out it may very well have
    been a hijacker, on my Win2000, since re-installed, all service packs
    and updates installed, and everything seems happy, once again.

    I had to re-install anyway, as I needed to widen my c: partition
    anyway.

    Could you give me a site, that explains about hijackers, spyware,
    etc., on a very elementary level?

    Thanks, George

    George, Dec 20, 2004
  4. George