[Q] CRWS software

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by stuie_norris, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. stuie_norris

    stuie_norris Guest

    Hi Group,

    I am a complete novice to CISCO and all things IOS.

    I have just been given a second hand Cicso 837 router and wish to use
    Web based setup before trying to learn using IOS. The router has been
    reset to factory defaults as per my previous question using the console
    connection.

    I have setup the router and connected to my PC. My PC has a DHCP
    allocated address of 10.10.10.2 and I try to start the CRWS software
    via Internet Explorer on Windows XP SP1 using the URL address
    10.10.10.1.

    The software prompts me for the language and I select English and the
    CRWS software on Internet Explorer sits constantly "Loading Cisco
    Router Web Setup. Please wait".

    The Rxd / Txd LEDs on the ASDL port constantly flash. I have not the
    modem to an ADSL enabled line - since I am still awaiting the
    connection of the line.

    Why is the CRWS software not loading.

    Any ideas on what the issue might be?

    Thanks

    Stuart

    stuie_norris, Oct 17, 2005

  2. stuie_norris

    Uli Link Guest

    Use Netscape 4.79 without Java Plugin.

    Or better get SDM from http://www.cisco.com/go/sdm

    You can install SDM local on you PC and SDM has *much* more features
    than CRWS.

    Uli Link, Oct 17, 2005

  3. stuie_norris

    gray.wizard Guest

    CRWS is a royal pain. What I remember is that the only way CRWS will
    work is if you use Internet Explorer with the MS Java Machine. Sun's
    Java will not work.

    It's not worth the headache. Your router can use SDM, though. Consider
    moving to that. It looks like Cisco has discontinued CRWS on newer 800
    series routers, SDM will work with Sun's Java in IE or Firefox, and
    SDM is a much more powerful GUI interface allowing you to do much,
    much more than CRWS was ever cabable of doing.

    In short, CRWS is obsolete. SDM is the future.

    Your router should have come with a mini-manual with instructions on
    how to convert your router from using CRWS to using SDM. If that
    document is missing then you can find the instructions on the Cisco
    web site.

    gray.wizard, Oct 17, 2005
  4. stuie_norris

    Bob Goddard Guest

    SDM is crap. Runs only on Windows.

    Bob Goddard, Oct 17, 2005
  5. stuie_norris

    gray.wizard Guest

    Even the versions of SDM that run completely on the router?

    gray.wizard, Oct 18, 2005
  6. stuie_norris

    Uli Link Guest

    It does not *run* on the router. You download the jar via http/https
    from the router

    Uli Link, Oct 18, 2005
  7. stuie_norris

    gray.wizard Guest

    That's what I meant...was in a hurry, sorry. I'll rephrase my
    question.

    Downloading the jar to your PC and running it, the code will only work
    on Windows machines?

    gray.wizard, Oct 19, 2005