    remove_ Guest

    Question: Will it also charge the batteries in the camera, so that you
    don't have to remove them?

    remove_, Aug 4, 2007

  2. remove_

    Dave Cohen Guest

    No. For the short time the camera is connected to the computer an
    adapter seems hardly worthwhile.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 4, 2007

  3. remove_

    remove_ Guest

    Thanks, so the batteries MUST be removed from the camera and charged
    separately?

    Wouldn't the AC adapter be indispensable if you use the A640 as a
    webcam?

    I'm hoping to use an A640 as a slide copier, with Nikon 35mm bellows,
    the AC adapter would be useful in that case?

    remove_, Aug 4, 2007
  4. remove_

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Well yes, if you intend to run the camera for an extended period like
    what you list or viewing on a tv then the adapter makes sense.
    You can get one at Radio Shack. It needs to have adequate current
    rating. Test by setting in record mode and exercising the zoom while
    watching out for the low battery warning.
    I found I could use an adapter I had from a portable cd player for
    transferring pics, but moving to record mode would turn the camera off.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 5, 2007
  5. remove_

    ASAAR Guest

    Yep, and in a way that's an advantage. With one charger and two
    sets of batteries you'd be able to use the camera continuously,
    other than the time needed to swap battery sets. If you charged the
    batteries in the camera, you'd lose the use of the camera for
    several hours each time you needed to charge the batteries. And
    there's no guarantee that the camera's built-in charger would be the
    better type that has an independent charging circuit for each cell.
    In fact, as most cameras have the batteries installed in series, it
    might have to charge all four of them . . . but no, I'll stop here.
    That's just too horrible to contemplate. :)

    Yes, assuming that you can do so. Canon provides no support for
    webcam mode, so you'd have to look elsewhere for this feature.
    Maybe the CHDK sock puppets can point you in the right direction.

    Perhaps, but the power cord would be a nuisance, and you might not
    really need an AC adapter for the A640. If you have one, check page
    130 of the manual, or download it if you don't have the A640. For
    copying slides, the A640 wouldn't use its power draining flash.
    Using Canon's NB-3AH NiMH batteries (2,500mAH) and with the LCD
    Monitor turned off, you should be able to take 1,500 shots per
    charge. If you need to use the LCD monitor, Canon says that these
    same NiMH batteries can keep it operating for 20 hours, so even if
    it reduces the number of shots per charge, it probably won't reduce
    it by very much. If you'll be copying slides for many months, one
    set of batteries might very well last for an entire day if you put
    them in the charger the night before. Rotating two sets of
    batteries would provide extra insurance that you'd never be without
    power. The second battery set should be much cheaper than Canon's
    ACK600 AC Adapter Kit, and as mentioned before, would eliminate the
    nuisance of having to deal with an attached power cord.

    And of course you don't have to get Canon's NB-3AH batteries.
    Higher capacity 2,700mAh batteries are found almost everywhere. I
    think that the largest that's available in RiteAid are 2,650mAh
    Duracells. They'll last even longer than Canon's batteries and will
    probably be only a fraction of their cost. If you only have a
    couple thousand slides to copy, you might even want to consider
    using alkaline AA batteries. They're rated at the same 20 hours of
    LCD display use, but fewer pictures per set, only 1,200. Still, for
    a couple of thousand slides you might only need two or three sets of
    alkaline batteries, which can be had for a little less than a dollar
    per set from many sources.

    ASAAR, Aug 5, 2007
  6. remove_

    M. Goode Guest

    Before wasting your money on an overpriced power-supply from Canon for these
    purposes, you might want to check this instead
    http://www.adorama.com/LRPRO40.html for only $25.

    It powers all of my cameras, flash-units, and accessories perfectly. Even acting
    as an in-camera charger for those that use Li-Ion battery types. A compact size
    that is 1/4th to 1/10th the weight and size of most of the dedicated chargers
    that have come with my photography equipment. It's smaller than a pack of
    cigarettes and runs off of 120v-240v. With a selectable 3v, 4.2v, 5v (all at 2.5
    Amp), 6v (2.2 Amp), 6.5v, 7v (2 Amp), and 8.4v (1.7 Amp) output. That's even
    more amperage than most of those dedicated brick-sized chargers put out at the
    same voltages. When traveling this lightens my load by about 5-8 lbs, and a
    shoe-box or more of space. 1 compact power-supply that now takes the place of 5
    unwieldy ones with all of their god awful arc-welder sized power-cords.

    M. Goode, Aug 6, 2007
  7. remove_

    ASAAR Guest

    Canon's "dedicated" power adapter for the A640 (CA-PS500) weighs
    only about 6 oz.

    It evidently works, because you're clearly not traveling with a
    full load. But your rucksack is still loaded with over 80 lbs. of
    equipment, not counting the 9 months worth of food and beverages for
    your wilderness treks, Biddy. What a load. Of something. :)

    ASAAR, Aug 6, 2007
  8. remove_

    SMS Guest

    No. There is no charger built into the camera. Very few cameras still
    have internal charging circuitry. It was rare for AA powered cameras to
    ever have it, because of the problem of the need for a way for a charger
    to distinguish what type of AA cell was in the camera. Kodak had some
    cameras that used a proprietary NiMH pack (which was two AA cells in
    plastic housing) _or_ AA cells, and only with the proprietary NiMH pack
    were the batteries charged in-camera, regular AA NiMH cells were not.

    Not many Li-Ion powered cameras still offer in-camera charging either.
    My old Canon G2 has in-camera charging, but I think this was
    discontinued on the G series starting with the G5. Too bad, it was kind
    of nice to have the option for in-camera charging. A few small Li-Ion
    cameras still have in-camera charging.

    SMS, Aug 6, 2007