[Q]Best doc/link for DHCP services on Cisco

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by papi, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. papi

    papi Guest

    Could anybody point me to a detailed documentation on the workings of DHCP
    services in Cisco products (specifically for the 6500 family). Problems I
    am trying to address (perhaps some kind soul may already have answers?!?):
    - I am trying to pull the information about the various VLANs-assiggned IP
    addresses, vs. MACs of end points, through SNMP - and can't find the dam'
    OIDs.
    - I am trying to run a script (TCL-expect-based) to pull additional info
    from the DHCP information, but could not find a way to show onlyh specifis
    VLANs (the show ip dhcp binding gets me everything, and I am forced to
    take this info "out", and process it via awk) - I would like to have a
    sppecific port ALWAYS getting the same IP address, no matter what device
    gets plugged in (so it is NOT a MAC-to-port type of associatian, as the
    MAC changes continuously, but rather an IP-from-DHCP-to-port restriction)
    .... I wonder if this is even possible?!?

    TIA,
    Papi

    papi, Jan 19, 2005

  2. papi

    BradReeseCom Guest

    BradReeseCom, Jan 19, 2005

  3. papi

    anybody43 Guest

    Astonishingly there does seem to be a solution for this but it may be
    costly.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps1982/products_white_paper0900aecd801edf27.shtml

    "INDUSTRIAL ETHERNET SOLUTION WITH CISCO CNS NETWORK REGISTRAR"

    Can Radius or Tacacs help?

    Re:snmp

    It is possible to do snmpwalk of the whole mib tree to see what is
    there.

    I don't know if this really returns everything but it does return a
    lot.

    "C:\Program Files\Support Tools>c:\usr\bin\snmpwalk
    -c xxxxx 172.20.1.1 mib-2"

    system.sysDescr.0 = Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C3500xl Software (C3500xl-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC5,
    RELEASE SOFTWAR
    E (fc1)
    Compiled Tue 28-May-02 11:41 by devgoyal
    system.sysObjectID.0 = OID: enterprises.9.1.248
    system.sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (854730910) 98 days, 22:15:09.10
    system.sysContact.0 = MCL HelpDesk 07002 663328
    system.sysName.0 = MCL_SW1
    system.sysLocation.0 =
    system.sysServices.0 = 2
    system.sysORLastChange.0 = Timeticks: (0) 0:00:00.00
    interfaces.ifNumber.0 = 28
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.1 = 1
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.2 = 2
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.3 = 3
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.4 = 4
    <..snip..>

    I would not recommend doing this on production kit since
    some platforms find it hard going and you might even bump into
    some bug.

    anybody43, Jan 19, 2005
  4. papi

    papi Guest

    papi, Jan 19, 2005
  5. papi

    papi Guest

    Papi wrote initially:

[...]

    I have read the docs you've pointed out, but - though useful info - it is
    not what I was looking for. It relates mostly to the mechanism of DHCP,
    in general, and possible "contribution" of Cisco, in regards to such
    traffic, not Cisco's own equipment providing such services, and
    information related to it. I have changed the subject, in the hope that it
    may raise someone else's interest ;)

    Thanks again,
    papi

    papi, Jan 19, 2005
  6. papi

    papi Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:31:50 -0800, anybody43 wrote:

    <SNIP>

    I did that in my first attempt to address my problems - for whatever
    reasons I could not pick up anything related to the initial request. Thank
    you for your suggestion - I'll keep looking around, also.

    papi, Jan 19, 2005
  7. papi

    z400d3 Guest

    This may be of some helps as well ..