    Hello

    OOPS bad spelling!

    Mike Engles

    Mike Engles, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Iv@n

    Junque Guest

    The sensor in the SD9 has 2263 columns x 1512 rows (as stated at
    http://www.sigma-photo.com/Html/news/news_sd9_fs.htm). The sensor only
    detects light normal to its surface at the intersections of the rows and
    columns, it has no information about the light falling on the
    interstice. The SD9 gets 3.43 million pixels from 10.3 million sensor
    elements in 3.43 million (2263 columns x 1512 rows) locations on the
    sensor. The 10D gets 6.3MP from 6.3 million distinct locations in the
    image plain.

    Junque, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Iv@n

    Junque Guest

    You fail to dispute that a Minolta Xt has a similar resolution to the
    Sigma SD9. The SD9 has 2263 columns x 1512 rows (as stated at
    http://www.sigma-photo.com/Html/news/news_sd9_fs.htm) and the Xt has
    2048 columns x 1536 rows.

    Junque, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Iv@n

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    I was just pondering on the fact that even a thread that started
    as "Q: 300D or 10D?" inevitably ends up as yet another Foveon
    endless debate...

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Iv@n

    Guest Guest

    Yet the Bayers somehow still magically manage to produce higher quality
    images. Simply amazing isn't it? or could it be thet your maths are
    ridiculously WRONG!!

    Guest, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Great, we end on agreement again, the SD9 RAW file has 10.3M RGB data
    points, a 10D RAW file has 6M RGB data points.

    Since the SD9 is only a RAW shooter, and SPP can output 3 different image
    file resolutions from that RAW file, there is no choice but to classify the
    SD9 as 10.3MP. That's what I said.

    George Preddy, Dec 11, 2003
  7.
    George Preddy, Dec 11, 2003
  8. I agree that at 1.58MP vs 3.43MP, the camera's "non-interpolated"
    resolutions, image quality is basically a toss up.

    George Preddy, Dec 11, 2003
  9.
    George Preddy, Dec 11, 2003
  10. full measurements

    George Preddy, Dec 11, 2003
  11. Iv@n

    Junque Guest

    We do not agree, the SD9 only produces luminance information at the
    intersection of its 2263 columns x 1512 rows (as stated at
    http://www.sigma-photo.com/Html/news/news_sd9_fs.htm) which provides
    3.43 million pixels in the image plain (since the RGB triplets used by
    Foevan are located along the line travelled by a ray of light from the
    subject they are incapable of providing additional information across
    the image plain). The 10D produces luminance information at the
    intersection of its 3072 columns x 2048 rows which produces 6.3 million
    pixels.
    It is SPP that is what ever upsampled "resolution" you can set it for,
    the sensor in the SD9 can only provide luminance information for the
    light on the image plain at the intersections of its 2263 columns x 1512
    rows

    Junque, Dec 11, 2003
  12. Iv@n

    JPS Guest

    In message <aRB1ghFte71$>,
    2268.

    JPS, Dec 11, 2003
  13. Iv@n

    Junque Guest

    Junque, Dec 11, 2003
  14. Iv@n

    Junque Guest

    I must remember to use my computer glasses, still that 0.2% error won't
    make a 3.4 million pixel image plain sensor into a 14 million pixel
    camera.

    Junque, Dec 11, 2003
  15. Which is precisely 3.43MP of luminance info, compared to only 2MP of
    luminance info for a 6MP-interpolated Bayer.

    Full color information is even more lopsided, Foveon captures 3.43MP, while
    a 6MP-interpolated Bayer only sees 1.5MP.

    George Preddy, Dec 12, 2003
  16. x 3

    George Preddy, Dec 12, 2003
  17. Iv@n

    Junque Guest

    Wrong again.

    The sensor in the SD9 has 2268 columns x 1512 rows (as stated at
    http://www.sigma-photo.com/Html/news/news_sd9_fs.htm). The sensor only
    detects light normal to its surface at the intersections of the rows and
    columns, it has no information about the light falling on the
    interstices and therefore can not be "x 3".

    Junque, Dec 12, 2003
  18. Iv@n

    JPS Guest

    In message <brchu9$ftm$>,
    .... sensors deep. Nothing to do with spatial resolution.

    JPS, Dec 12, 2003
  19. Iv@n

    Junque Guest

    Incorrect. Additionally some SD9 users interpolate its 3.43 million
    pixels to 13.7 million pixels and pretend that it is original, this is
    after pretending that 2268 columns x 1512 rows give it a resolution of
    10.3 million pixels.

    Junque, Dec 12, 2003
  20. So a 3 sensor camera only has 1 sensor, right?

    George Preddy, Dec 13, 2003