Q:300D or 10D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by [email protected], Nov 17, 2003.

  1. What do you think?

    [email protected], Nov 17, 2003

  2. Without recieving more information, the best we can give back is "Dunno".

    Martin Francis, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Iv@n

    Todd Walker Guest

    Todd Walker, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Iv@n

    PhotoMan Guest

    Probably. But maybe then, probably not.

    PhotoMan, Nov 17, 2003
  5. I went through the process and settled on the 300D for size, weight, and
    cost concerns. In that order, by the way. I don't care much for large and
    heavy cameras. I am a serious amateur and would like to have the features
    of the 10D. But, like they say, you can't have it all. If anybody cares,
    I'd spend more for a smaller, lighter camera with pro-am prowess.

    Charles Schuler, Nov 17, 2003
  6. Iv@n

    Phil Guest

    300D, since that's what I bought :)

    The 10D was just too large in my hand for my taste, or I would have
    bought one. And then there is a cost factor.

    I'm quite pleased with the 300D. My friend with a 10D and a 300D says
    the 300D is just as good for what I do.

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 17, 2003
  7. Iv@n

    Mark B. Guest

    I think you should look at the features, limitations, and pros & cons of
    each and decide what's best for you. The 10D has a better feature set, the
    300D is smaller & lighter.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 18, 2003
  8. Iv@n

    Phil Guest

    Uhhh ... the "we" should be an "I".

    Those of us who have made the same trade can tell him what we bought and
    why.

    A friend of mine really straddled the fence and bought one of each :)

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 18, 2003
  9. Iv@n

    Mark M Guest

    10D
    300D
    10D
    300D
    ....and so on.

    Mark M, Nov 18, 2003
  10. Iv@n

    Christian Guest

    10D works out to be a lot more expensive when you factor in the lenses you
    will need to buy to actually use it (17-40mm f/4L, just for starters).
    With the 300D you get a kit lens included which means you don't even need
    to worry about running out and buying another lens if you're happy with the
    quality.

    Christian, Nov 18, 2003
  11. Iv@n

    Todd Walker Guest

    Hmm...kinda makes me wonder how I'm using my 10D without the 17-40 if
    it's needed to actually use it :)

    Seriously, my 28-135, 50/1.8, and 70-200 f/4L are serving me nicely. I
    am considering the 17-40 but I really don't have a need for wide angle
    that much so I might just save that $700.

    --
    __________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Nov 18, 2003
  12. Iv@n

    Mon11 Guest

    I'm a little confused. Why do so many people consider such small
    (though undeniably noticable, I admit) differences in weight a huge
    issue in which camera to purchase? We're talking a difference in 1
    pound or less, not 10 or more. I understand that with events that are
    hours long, that extra pound might wear you down somewhat more. Sure,
    I'd love a lighter camera, BUT...if camera A is better than camera B
    at what it does (i.e. taking pictures), you'd better believe I'm using
    camera A (solely on the grounds of picture quality and weight, not
    price) Same for size, we're not talking about the 10d being some
    freakish anomaly the size of a cereal box. Honestly, weight and/or
    size was a higher priorty for some of you? Congratulations, you've
    just won your choice of either a new Canon 1Ds or a new Canon 300d!
    Which one would you like? I think I'll take the 300d, the 1Ds is "too
    large in my hand for my taste," thanks. Yeah, this situations is
    quite different, but the overall idea still blows my mind.

    Mon11, Nov 18, 2003
  13. Iv@n

    Ray Fischer Guest

    $1800 or $1000.

    What do YOU think?

    Ray Fischer, Nov 18, 2003
  14. Iv@n

    Phil Guest

    Size, not weight is the major issue for me with the 10D. I looked at
    one in July and would have bought it, but it just felt too large in my hand.

    When the 300D arrived, it felt just right: Easy to hold and not so heavy
    as to tire me when holding it with one hand with a reasonable lens. And
    it does what I need to have it do.

    BTW -- I am a backpacker and go pretty light (e.g., 32# for a five-day
    snow BP in the Sierras). For that, 8 oz is always a factor (e.g., I
    spend $$$ for Titanium utensils and and to save 8 oz in tent weight.
    But in this case that is all academic: Neither camera is light enough
    for me to backpack with :)

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 18, 2003
  15. Iv@n

    Phil Guest

    Plus correlating the kit lens to 17-40 L glass is a bit off. There are
    likely much less pricy lenses in that range that would do as well as the
    300D kit lens when used with a 10D.

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 18, 2003
  16. Iv@n

    Guest Guest

    I think it's not that much of a factor - it's just kind of making you feel
    better about having the cheaper plastic body :) It is for me anyway ....

    However... how come your not wandering around with a view camera and digital
    back plugged into a PDA?

    -- joke by the way :)

    Guest, Nov 18, 2003
  17. George Preddy, Nov 18, 2003
  18. Iv@n

    Mark B. Guest

    I think $1800 is at least $300 too much.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 18, 2003
  19. Iv@n

    Christian Guest

    I'll bet that 70-200 f/4L wasn't cheap! Add that to the cost of a 10D and
    see how it adds up.

    My point was, with the 300D you don't *need* to buy any lenses. With the
    10D you do so the cost difference between the two is actually quite big.
    Yes, the lens you buy depend on what you need. My example with the 17-40mm
    was just because I'm really missing a wide-angle solution on my 10D atm!

    Christian, Nov 19, 2003
  20. Iv@n

    Christian Guest

    Canon doesn't make anything cheaper that provides wide-angle for the 10D.
    You obviously know nothing because the EF-S lens that comes with the 300D
    can't be used on any other camera (currently), including the 10D. Yes,
    there are lenses from Sigma et al but they aren't cheap either (and
    arguably not as good).

    Christian, Nov 19, 2003