    geopelia Guest

    TVOne used to be rather like the BBC, when it was the only TV station.
    Now it is just another station in the clutter.

    geopelia, Nov 11, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    It isn't really new to the mid-20th century, although it is far more
    abundant and easy to obtain in the past 100-200 years or so. In "ye
    olde days" before TV they used to have radio, books, cinema, plays,
    wandering minstrels, etc. even caveman Ugh telling his mates back at
    the cave about "the big one that got away".

    Your Name, Nov 12, 2013

  3. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Likely because some greedy management moron wanted more dosh in his
    pocket and/or some idiot politician decides they had to make massive
    profits. :-\

    Your Name, Nov 12, 2013
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Discerning viewers have other things to do during the ad breaks.
    But whoever chose the music for that lovely train advert deserves a medal,
    though I wonder what it has to do with trains.

    Here's a great website, with various recordings of the song. Even Caruso!
    http://medicine-opera.com/2012/03/the-pearl-fishers-duet/

    geopelia, Nov 12, 2013
  5. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    *Discerning* viewers record the few shows they want to watch and then
    skip past the ad breaks ... that's why the greedy morons in charge
    started putting adverts over the top of shows and squashing the closing
    credits. :-(

    Probably at least half the adverts on TV have little or nothing to do
    with the product they're supposedly advertising.

    Your Name, Nov 13, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Yes, how many people watching the winning wedding advert have any idea what
    is being advertised?

    At least in the old black and white days, and the radio morning serials, the
    product had pride of place.
    And we could sing along to the jingles. "Use Ajax, the foaming cleanser..."
    I still whistle the Adams clothesline ad sometimes hanging out the washing.

    Perhaps advertising should be judged by the increase in sales, not the
    entertainment value of the ads.
    But that is an old fashioned idea.

    geopelia, Nov 14, 2013
  7. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    I'm guessing you mean the winning FairGo advert last night. I certainly
    had no idea it was for a particular credit card company. I simply
    thought it was advertising the silly new "wave to pay" system various
    credit card companies are forcing on their customers.

    They make the "entertaining" (as if an advert ever is anything but an
    annoyance) so that people remember them ... the problem is that they
    have so little to do with the product that the people never know /
    rememebr what the product is anyway. That's what you get when you let
    arty-types run the business. ;-)

    Your Name, Nov 14, 2013
  8. geopelia

    victor Guest

    Advertising is to promote brand awareness.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand#Brand_awareness

    victor, Nov 14, 2013
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    So why don't they make it clear what the brand is?
    Perhaps have the brand name clearly displayed somewhere while the whole ad
    is playing.

    "I've seen a lovely ad for a car"
    "What make of car?"
    "Dunno".

    geopelia, Nov 14, 2013
  10. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    That's the one.
    So that is what it was for. Who would have known?
    I thought it was for some bus company or perhaps an airline.

    geopelia, Nov 14, 2013
  11. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    You're lucky if you even know the advert is advertising a car ... most
    of the time you can't what the advert is supposedly advertising at all.
    They often just an arty load of rubbish that made the makers feel like
    they're making feature films ... and tell the customer absolutely
    nothing about anything.

    Your Name, Nov 14, 2013
  12. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Supposedly it was advertising MasterCard (according to the silly woman
    receiving the trophy) ... I just thought it was advertising that rugby
    players were too dumb to use a credit card in the sensible way and so
    lazy they leave their shopping to the last possible second. ;-)

    Your Name, Nov 14, 2013
  13. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    If they design their car like they design their advert, then I don't
    WANT to be driving their car ... no doubt the steering wheel is in the
    boot, the indicators on the roof, the driver facing backwards, it's got
    only two wheels, runs on rails, uses synthetic snow as fuel, looks like
    a large pink possum, ... ;-)

    Your Name, Nov 14, 2013
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    But I still like the train ad with the Pearl Fishers duet.

    I still remember a lovely ad where keas vandalised a car. But I have no idea
    what they were advertising.
    Apart from "Don't park your car where there are keas" of course.

    geopelia, Nov 15, 2013
  15. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Ahh, that'll be the good ol' Crunchie train robbery advert. ;-)

    From memory I think it was some insurance company, but I have no idea
    which one ... BUT, choosing to park your car where keas can destroy it
    would probably mean the greedy insurance company wriggles out of paying
    anything anyway.

    Your Name, Nov 15, 2013
  16. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    That was a great ad too, but I'm thinking of the modern one where the train
    is going somewhere in the South Island, I think,
    with the great opera sound track.
    What that has to do with pearl fishers and a goddess appearing is a bit of a
    mystery though.
    Isn't it the train trip that is being advertised?
    (Why not follow up with a bull being chased off the track to the Toreador
    song from Carmen?)

    At least with the old Crunchie and Milky Bar ads it was quite clear what the
    product was.
    I wonder. If there is a warning notice, I suppose they could.
    But it isn't something an overseas tourist might expect. "Attacked by
    parrots".

    geopelia, Nov 15, 2013
  17. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    They more usually told you what the product was, but many still told
    you nothing about the product. The old Chrunchie advert for example
    basically told you not to eat your Chrunchie in public because someone
    will try to steal it ... absolutely nothing about the bar itself: what
    it's made of, what's in it, how much it cost, etc. :)

    I've never been there, but I vaguely remember reading that the main
    carparking areas do have warning notices (at the skiing areas for
    example).

    Even in many normal carpark areas there are signs saysing parking is at
    your own risk and the owners of the property / business are not
    responsible for any damage or stolen cars / items.

    Your Name, Nov 15, 2013
  18. geopelia

    -Newsman- Guest

    It's the laziest of cop outs. Try "Land of the Mountain and the
    Flood" (If you wish, start about 1m.15" in for the big tune depicting
    the title of the piece):

    Better still, forget the silly ad and enjoy "The Little Train of the
    Caipira," a Latin-American genius's extraordinary musical evocation of
    an old-world trainride. The accompanying pictures are worth a look,
    too. Remember to click for the full screen view!

    The expansive "big tune" starts at 0'.56"

    The brave little engine gradually gets up steam and departs after some
    effort, to wind its way through Brazilain forests and valleys. Then,
    with cranks and valvegear clanking and hissing, it labours its way on
    and up to the mountaintop station where it gratefully slows to a halt
    and takes a well earned breather, all mechanicals stilled and
    silenced, the only remaining sound being spasmodic wisps of steam.

    The entire score was penned by Villa-Lobos using nothing but standard
    orchestral instrumentation and a whole array of cross-rhythms.

    -Newsman-, Nov 16, 2013
  19. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    There are many partial tunes used in adverts and TV shows that sound
    good ... but then when you hear the entire tune the rest of it sounds
    awful.

    Your Name, Nov 16, 2013
  20. geopelia

    victor Guest

    Which ad are you talking about ?
    Telling you what a car is like in 30 seconds would just be telling you
    what you already know.
    So they give you a story or song or tune to make an impression.
    I can't believe this is new information to you.

    victor, Nov 16, 2013