    ignore it?

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Nov 2, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Richard Guest

    Have seen a few updates on my box to do with them adding aljazerra and
    removing TV9.

    Richard, Nov 3, 2013

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Just an aerial. We are in line of sight to the Waitakeries.

    geopelia, Nov 4, 2013
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Thank you.
    Another notice came up yesterday. about some new channels.
    I'll click around, but I expect they will all be in Chinese.

    geopelia, Nov 4, 2013
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    That's good, I like Al jazeera. I missed it when Triangle closed.

    geopelia, Nov 5, 2013
  6. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    <snip>

    Prime isn't going anywhere. It's part of the Freeview group of channels
    - the actual channel number will be different depending on whether
    you're using Freeview (#10) or Sky TV (#4) to watch Prime though (not
    sure about Igloo).

    In fact more people should be able to view Prime than used to under the
    analogue signal.

    Your Name, Nov 10, 2013
  7. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Prime is owned by Sky. If they wished they could remove it from FTA.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 10, 2013
  8. geopelia

    -Newsman- Guest

    -Newsman-, Nov 10, 2013
  9. geopelia

    Crash Guest

    Crash, Nov 10, 2013
  10. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Free TV is dying largely because the morons in charge (like all
    management morons) are too busy trying to stuff their own wallets with
    money rather than provide the actual service they claim to be
    providing. They continually do idiotic things:

    - move a show mid-season
    - cancel a show mid-season
    - over-hype a show already cancelled in US / UK
    - don't play what is scheduled
    - interrupt regular shows with sports / election / etc. specials
    - put silly "informational" garbage all over the top of the shows
    - squash the credits to one side
    - fill prime time slots with repeats and "reality" TV garbage
    - ...

    and then they sit there wondering why fewer and fewer people are
    bothering to watch their channel. :-\

    Sky isn't much better - they too have silly "ghost" logos, don't play
    what is scheduled, etc.

    Your Name, Nov 10, 2013
  11. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Sky bought Prime because they wanted a free-to-air channel, so it's
    very unlikely to be going anywhere in the near future.

    Your Name, Nov 10, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Now with computers don't most of us just watch only what TV we really like,
    or have the news etc on while we get tea?
    TV seems to have lost the importance it once had in our lives.
    Computers, radio and of course reading books have taken its place.

    All the good sports events seem to have been grabbed by Sky, anyway. (At
    extra cost!)
    But we still have Rugby, for now.

    geopelia, Nov 10, 2013
  13. "The major thing that is killing FTA TV is the adication of
    responsibilty od
    TV1 to screen quality programmes"

    You have to first define what a "quality" program is..[/QUOTE]

    Hint ... if it has block, X, talent, chef, master, race, survivor, loser in
    the title, then it isn't. :)

    Yes, there are similar words that can be added to that list that are also
    inversely correlated with quality. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 11, 2013
  14. Sky grabbing large quantities of the sport is a big win as far as I'm
    concerned. No, I don't have sky. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 11, 2013
  15. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Downton Abbey. Rome. The North America series. Wild South documentaries.
    Upstairs and Downstairs. Doctor House. Band of Brothers.
    Mad Men too, but Sky grabbed that.
    And for comedies, Dad's Army, Mash and Fawlty Towers.
    I suppose you could call the James Bond films quality comedies, too. They
    are well made and full of action, but not to be taken seriously.
    I couldn't define "quality" but I know it when I see it. Don't we all?

    But alas as long as many people prefer silly soapies producers will keep
    churning them out.
    There has to be some action between the ad breaks!

    And why shouldn't people have murders and car chases if that is what they
    enjoy?
    Even Coronation Street was good in the early days.

    TV has to cater for all tastes and all levels of intelligence.
    Those at the lower level are probably the ones who will be most influenced
    by the advertising.
    ..Programmers know that, and must keep their advertisers happy.

    geopelia, Nov 11, 2013
  16. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    These days TV mainly caters for the lowest denominator ... which means
    lots of cheap-to-make "reality" TV garbage for the brainless fools with
    the attenetion span of a dead goldfish. :-(

    What the idiot programmers don't seem to ever unerstand is that the
    viewer is also their customer ... no viewers = nobody willing to pay
    for advertising.

    Your Name, Nov 11, 2013
  17. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Yep, the "dumbing down of TV One" is another cause to add to the list
    above.

    Your Name, Nov 11, 2013
  18. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Yep, the less sport bumping the few real shows left from the schedule
    the better. :)

    Your Name, Nov 11, 2013
  19. geopelia

    Crash Guest

    FTA TV is the business of delivering eyeballs to advertisers. Since
    its advent in NZ FTA has surrendered its pre-eminent position in this
    field. It would be interesting to talk to those that make the
    programming decisions at TVNZ and Mediaworks to see why these
    organisations seem to have meekly accepted audience loss when they
    might have been expected to fight it with 'quality' programming and
    other innovations.

    FTA TV initially took away advertising revenue from newspapers.
    Newspaper publishing over this period has changed dramatically and
    they have fought back with the DomPost in particular reporting
    increased readership in recent years.

    Crash, Nov 11, 2013
  20. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Now we have the newsgroups and Facebook, so we can pass on our pearls of
    wisdom to the whole English speaking world,
    an improvement on the laborious old way of writing letters to the Editor.

    geopelia, Nov 11, 2013