Puzzling behaviour with SATA drives

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, Jul 3, 2006.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Greetings all.

    I have two SATA dives on the bench that are giving me rather odd chkdsk and
    diagnostic results.

    One is Seagate 7200.7 80GB the other a Western Digital WD800JD also 80GB.

    Both are under 12 months old and have come out of their respective machines
    in the last couple of days because of niggling BSOD's and lockups. (2-4 per
    day) The PC's have been fine since replacing the drives but so they were
    before after an OS rebuild on the old drives.

    Motherboards are different (ECS and Foxconn) one OS is XP Pro the other XP
    Home as well as several other points of difference eg AVG vs Norton AV. The
    drives have been zero'd out, repartitioned, formated and the OS reinstalled
    at least twice on each drive but both PC's will go flakey again in a short
    period of time. Performing a chkdsk /r from the recovery console as
    described below will make them behalve for a few days before BSODing or
    locking up again.

    The WD drive passes WD's diagnostics and zero's out in about 30 minutes, the
    Seagate on the other hand passes the short diagnostic but always crashes the
    long diagnostic (locks up), zeroing on the Seagate takes 6 hours or more.
    Running chkdsk /r from the XP recovery console (same service pack, same
    version pro/home) both drives will zip away till about 50%.
    At 50% they both slow down till the 60-70% mark when they will return to 50%
    and proceed at a leisurely pace again till about 60-70% when again they
    return to 50% and go dead slow. Slow as in taking 30 to 40 minutes to
    finish this third pass.

    Has anyone seen this behaviour with SATA drives (or PATA for all that) and
    pinned it on the drive? Or has it been tracked to software / firmware
    shortcomings?

    The reason I ask is I have a third PC with similar symptoms and because it
    has a POS system locked to the hard drive I can't just swap out the drive on
    spec without costing the client $$$ in reactivation fee's. This third PC is
    also a SATA (havent got the details to hand but I think it's a Maxtor 80GB)
    but the MB/OS/CPU/RAM configuration is a mixture of the previous two
    mentioned.

    Makes me wonder if there is not some sort of dodgy chip on the electronics
    board to cause three drives from different makers to play up in similar
    way's.

    Your help thought's appreciated.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jul 3, 2006

  2. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Thanks for the thought Dan.

    I have tried new data and power cables, in fact the drives are testing on
    completely different hardware.
    I've even got down to trying different SATA chipsets (via a PCI card)

    The drives are some of the first ones that I had anything to do with and are
    fitted with the old style molex 4 pin socket as well as the new SATA power
    socket, neither option makes any difference.

    Again thanks.
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jul 3, 2006

  3. PeeCee

    Dan Evans Guest

    8>< Snip assorted SATA woes.
    I had a lot of problems with SATA when they first came out, but nothing in
    the last year or so apart from power cables (swap the PSU's for models with
    a SATA plug) and data cables (swap for another one).

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 3, 2006
  4. PeeCee

    Dan Evans Guest

    I'd say they are both turked then, if they are that old.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 4, 2006