    the antenna disk you can see purple fringing around the white pixels.
    Best,
    Steve.

    iamsb, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Just noticed in the latest 12M panoramic from the Mars Rover that if
    Apparently they are using Sony's new F828 on the Mars Exploration Rover
    Spirit.

    Jaakko Holster, Jan 13, 2004

  3. As my dad would say: "They can put a man on the moon but they can't....yada
    yada yada"

    It's good to know even those with $1,000,000,000 budgets have the same
    issues I do.

    Shawn Westerhoff, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Hmm. If true, it would disprove a number of the theories about such
    problems in Bayer-array cameras and the Foveon chip. Obviously it's
    not a blooming effect causing green light to stimulate red and blue
    sensels, as the Mars cameras use monochrome CCD's and take three
    images with different filters to get color.

    Stephen H. Westin, Jan 14, 2004
  5. iamsb

    jriegle Guest

    They must be using the lens from the new F828 :-D
    John (ducking, running)

    jriegle, Jan 15, 2004
  6. iamsb

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Aren't some of these shots 3D anaglyphic images? I think they use red
    and blue filters. When these are combined they naturally have color
    fringes when viewed without colored glasses. Is this possibly what looks
    like the purple fringing? Incidently, CNN is reporting they intend to
    show a bunch of these 3D shots 'next' Friday. Not sure which friday
    they mean, but probably next week. They listed a number of places to
    get the glasses. I have a pair somewhere in house from a mag showing
    the ones Sojourner took. Hope I can find them.

    Don Stauffer, Jan 15, 2004
  7. iamsb

    Isaac Kuo Guest

    It just occured to me--these shots are taken one color at a time
    using 3 color filters, right? Well, what happens if something
    is moving? You'll get some sort of color fringe artifacts.
    Perhaps the specular reflections of the Sun in question were
    moving fast enough to have such an effect.

    After all, the Sun essentially moves along with the sky's
    rotation--quite significant over several seconds. I noticed
    this while photographing the Moon with a tripod. The Martian
    day is actually a bit shorter than Earth's so the Sun's
    apparent movement would be even faster.

    Still, I would think the color filter order would place green
    in the middle to minimize this effect (either RGB order or BGR
    order). That would result in red/orange fringes and
    blue/cyan fringes, not purple. I suspect the correct explanation
    is higher order chromatic abberations, just as with normal
    color cameras.

    Isaac Kuo

    Isaac Kuo, Jan 15, 2004
  8. iamsb