Purple Cast on Printed Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nhmiller, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Nhmiller

    Nhmiller Guest

    Olympus D-520 Zoom
    Epson 1280 Printer

    I have been printing to ProMedia Glossy Photo Paper. Perhaps I have been penny
    wise and pound foolish. It retails for $4 for 20 sheets of 8.5 x 11, but Fry's
    has it on sale periodically for $1, which is when I stock up.

    The problem is that the printed photos, especially indoors, have a pronounced
    purple cast. I have made no adjustments to the Epson printer driver settings,
    using the defaults for Color on Premium Glossy Photo Paper. I chose to do that
    because when I print from scans made of paintings to Epson Professional Media
    Matte Heavyweight (no penny pinching here), again with no changes to the
    scanner or the printer driver defaults, the colors are 100% exactly the same as
    the original prints.

    The Epson printer driver has a Digital Camera Correction checkbox within the
    PhotoEnhance4 setting, that I have not tried. There is also an EPSON Natural
    Color setting within the Color Controls setting. There are many other settings
    I could adjust. I know the first thing someone would say is experiment with
    different paper, and then different settings. But, I wanted to see if others
    have encountered this problem and what they did to get the prints to come out
    with clear sharp colors. Or, if you know specifically what is causing the
    purple cast. Thanks.

    Neil
    Cat Paintings At Carol Wilson Gallery
    http://www.carolwilsongallery.com

    Nhmiller, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Nhmiller

    bmoag Guest

    The purple cast may be from a clogged head, computer monitor with unusually
    high color temperature setting, bad ink cartridge, etc.
    However a possible cause is that color management is being implemented more
    than once in your printer settings. This is exactly the problem if you see
    the color cast in the Epson print preview prior to printing. If the print
    preview has approximately normal colors then the problem is usually not
    software related.
    The 1280 is a very accurate printer which means it does not forgive misuse
    or poorly processed images. It will not give its best results unless used
    with appropriate color management.
    You should provide more information, specifically what software you use to
    manipulate and print photos with.
    If you use Elements, which I believe comes with the printer, that program
    allows color management similar to Photoshop.
    If you want to learn more about Elements/PS and printing with Epson printers
    check out the Epson Academy on the Epson website.

    bmoag, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Nhmiller

    Skip M Guest

    It's the paper. I use it for "contact sheets" but for serious printing, I
    avoid it like the plague. B&W prints sorta greenish on both my Epson 880
    and Canon 9000. Magenta cast in color on my Canon, never tried it on my
    Epson.

    Skip M, Aug 5, 2004
  4. Nhmiller

    Nhmiller Guest

    It's the paper. I use it for "contact sheets" but for serious printing, I
    Thanks Skip. Too bad about the prints done so far, but I learned a lesson. What
    paper have you found works well? I wonder if I should use the Matte paper that
    works perfectly for prints of paintings. A 13 x 19 sheet runs me about 60c.
    That comes out to about 23c per 8.5 x 11. Does glossy have any advantage, or is
    it no more than a long standing tradition?

    Nhmiller, Aug 5, 2004
  5. Nhmiller

    MikeS Guest

    is with your shots. Remember rubbish in rubbish out.
    Make sure you have not double corrected with gamut/gamma correction. Some
    times I have found it is best to de-install Photocopy and reinstall, then
    try printing without adjusting the gamma. Try different paper setting on the
    printer, for example try photogloss film (yes I know its is supposed to be
    transparent for over projection). Also try Colourlife photo paper. this
    works with Olmac paper for me.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Aug 5, 2004
  6. Nhmiller

    Skip M Guest

    My all time favorite papers are from Ilford. I use Gallerie Classic Pearl,
    a nice compromise between matte and glossy. Ilford Gallerie Smooth, both
    glossy and pearl, is fully compatible with Epson pigmented inks, if that is
    the way you want to go. Full-on matte, I use the same Epson Heavyweight
    that you do.

    Skip M, Aug 5, 2004
  7. Nhmiller

    Mark B. Guest

    If I may jump in here, I have the 870 which is the 1280's little brother.
    My favorite papers are Epson's own Premium Luster and Premium Semi-Gloss.
    I've not tried third party papers.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 5, 2004
  8. Nhmiller

    jimkramer Guest

    I'll second the Ilford papers, but for scratch work I use the Epson Glossy
    Photopaper, 9.4 mil, 120 sheets for $20 @ Costco.

    Jim Kramer

    jimkramer, Aug 5, 2004
  9. Nhmiller

    Nhmiller Guest

    Regarding matte vs glossy or photo papers, the Epson 1280 driver gives choices
    up to 1440 dpi for the matte heavyweight, but up to 2880 dpi for the glossy or
    photo papers. For best quality photos, should I use papers that allow me to go
    up to the 2880 setting?

    Nhmiller, Aug 6, 2004
  10. Nhmiller

    Mark B. Guest

    I've not tried any, but I'm not sure you'll be able to tell the difference.
    Get a pack of the paper and try it at both settings with the same image.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 6, 2004
  11. Nhmiller

    Nhmiller Guest

    Mark, do you print no higher than 1440? I figure if I print 4.5 x 6 on the 13 x
    19 Epson Matte Heavyweight I already use with perfect results for scanned
    paintings, I get 8 prints on a sheets that costs me 60c. That's 7.5c per
    picture. That's equivalent to a 20 sheet pack of paper costing $6, so this
    seems like a good deal with perfect results. I'll have to see what some of
    those 20 sheet packs cost of the papers others have recommended in this thread.

    Nhmiller, Aug 7, 2004
  12. Nhmiller

    Mark B. Guest

    I have an Epson 870, 1440 max. I'm perfectly content right now until I can
    get a pigment-ink printer such as the R800 or 2100. I can't see the dots
    now so I see no reason to rush out & get something new just for the sake of
    having something new. Besides, higher printer dpi uses more ink.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 8, 2004