    the 64-bit RC2 download. I caught the 32-bit only.

    Would it be better to put the RC2 32 bit os on it instead because I think
    that one is pretty stable from using it on a few other pcs?

    Guest, Oct 23, 2006

  2. Why is he using a pre-release version of Windows in the first place? Unless
    he is a Vista beta tester (TechBeta, CPP, MSDN, TechNet, or TAP) he should
    not be.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Pardon me but I'm the one who set it up and we are allowed to install on a
    number of computers. He's just going to be using it to surf the internet and
    play his music, etc. That's why I installed in a dual-boot so he can use XP
    to get his work done. But I do want to migrate him to Vista when it becomes
    available so I want him to try it out a little. I thought someone might be
    able to tell me something about this build, such as it's full of bugs or
    whatever. I also get the opportunity to install in different pc's and gain
    some more extensive experience.

    Guest, Oct 24, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Just wanted to add that I wasn't really impressed with Vista until I saw it
    on this system. Awesome! But still having a couple of 64-bit driver
    problems. Not great sound and the video chip doesn't seem to be recognized
    though it has aero.

    Guest, Oct 24, 2006
  5. 64bit driver problems are in the hands of the manufacturers and MS can only
    encourage them to write drivers for Vista. Some of these will never be
    written because the devices are out of support due to age.

    As far as the most recent builds out there (5728 and 5744), they represent
    an excellent state for Vista but the driver situation will continue to
    change through Vista launch and beyond. I know of no showstopper bugs in
    Vista that would prevent its use.

    There is one thing to consider about dual booting XP and Vista after Vista
    launch and that is that Volume Shadowcopy Services in Vista and XP are not
    compatible and booting into XP will cause the loss of certain Vista files,
    like System Restore points and the "previous versions" of files (new to
    Vista). The reverse is not true. Booting into Vista will not harm XP
    System Restore points, etc, because the VSS driver in Vista understands what
    the XP files are while the XP VSS driver thinks that the Vista files are
    corrupted XP files.

    You can prevent this by using a third party boot manager that can hide the
    Vista volume from XP but I suggest going it alone with Vista after launch in
    January. Almost anything requiring XP can be run in a Virtual PC 2007 XP
    virtual machine instead of dual booting. An exception would be games
    requiring 3d rendering, of course.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 24, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you for the heads up about the dual-boot problems. I did ghost the XP
    drive before I created the dual-boot and I installed a data drive for him to
    copy all his files to. I am planning on migrating him to Vista as a
    stand-alone after Vista launch. The only accessory he has is a laser printer
    that does have a 64-bit driver. Hopefully the drivers will be there for the
    high def audio and his video. I can't get the XP 64-bit drivers to install
    at all. Vista installed a generic high def audio driver but it doesn't sound
    too good and his video says unknown chipset though it also lists is as Radeon
    X200 WDDM. It looks great but I'm not sure why it would say the chipset is
    unknown. I even tried to install the chipset inf to see if that would change
    but couldn't get that to install.

    And thanks again for the advice.

    Guest, Oct 24, 2006
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Persistance pays off. Everything is installed and running great, except for
    some problems with Firefox. That is suddenly having problems on all the
    computers with timeout errors.

    Guest, Oct 25, 2006